Jim Read's Parramatta Spares F.E.D.

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
ThunderRoad

Jim Read's Parramatta Spares F.E.D.

Post by ThunderRoad »

I am after any history and photos of Jim Read's Parramatta Spares Dragster.
chevyshubox

Re: Jim Read's Parramatta Spares F.E.D.

Post by chevyshubox »

ThunderRoad wrote:I am after any history and photos of Jim Read's Parramatta Spares Dragster.
I dont know much about it but I was told that the guys that own the Northern wreckers on the Northeren Road between Windsor and Penrith are the same people that owned Parramatta spares and I do know that there is a few photos of his cars in the office at the Northern Wreckers but not sure which ones.
I do remember Jim Reads cars being on show outside Parramatta spares on Saturday mornings but that is just a memory that is fading very fast as I was only about 9 or 10 if that. I think the ones I remember where rear engined but not sure. Chris
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

Howdy
I think Adelaide Racer Kevin Pinkstone bought it from Read. He (Pinkstone) had two cars a blown small block car and the injected car. After that ??? I just had a look at the white pages - theirs only two Pinkstone in there one with the initial K and in Queensland. Give 'em a ring and ask...
Cheers
Tony
https://www.facebook.com/OldRaceCarsHotRodsInSheds
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

The rail was raced by Read and Warren Eyles then sold to Kevin Pinkstone of Toronto near Newcastle, it was driven by Kevin and one of his crew Brian, his surname I cant remember, it then went to Geoff Orrell of Melbourne who sold it to a guy from Ballarat who crashed it at Calder while running it in Modified Elim. I dont know where it went from there, I was told it was badly damagned in the crash. The old time drag race photograpers may have some pics of it. Kevin Pinkstone's son racers at Willowbank in Modified Elim I think.
ThunderRoad

Post by ThunderRoad »

Bob Honeybrook wrote:The rail was raced by Read and Warren Eyles then sold to Kevin Pinkstone of Toronto near Newcastle, it was driven by Kevin and one of his crew Brian, his surname I cant remember, it then went to Geoff Orrell of Melbourne who sold it to a guy from Ballarat who crashed it at Calder while running it in Modified Elim. I dont know where it went from there, I was told it was badly damagned in the crash. The old time drag race photograpers may have some pics of it. Kevin Pinkstone's son racers at Willowbank in Modified Elim I think.
I believe the guy from Ballarat would be Anthony Selva, But the car does not seem to have ever been in any bad accidents, I would really like to know the history of the dragster before Jim Read owned it as I believe the car must of been an American car as the workman ship seems to be far beyond that of all the other early dragsters that we have/do own. I do remember seeing in one of the Drag News (Newspaper) from the late sixties that some one else owned it before Jim Read.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

It was built by K & M Chassis in Carramar Sydney, Kevin Birch and Marc Marcolini were the guys responsible for the build. They did quality work. I think I have a phone number for Warren Eyles somewhere, I will look for it. I am sure Geoff Orrell told me it was crashed.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

The rail was built for Eyles and Read.
rainman

Post by rainman »

chevyshubox wrote:
ThunderRoad wrote:I am after any history and photos of Jim Read's Parramatta Spares Dragster.
I dont know much about it but I was told that the guys that own the Northern wreckers on the Northeren Road between Windsor and Penrith are the same people that owned Parramatta spares and I do know that there is a few photos of his cars in the office at the Northern Wreckers but not sure which ones.
I do remember Jim Reads cars being on show outside Parramatta spares on Saturday mornings but that is just a memory that is fading very fast as I was only about 9 or 10 if that. I think the ones I remember where rear engined but not sure. Chris
Chris, if i remember rightly ,yes roy horn owned the wreckers on western hway at hilltop and kingswood spares and is who you are referring to, roy was a ford guy and i can allways remember going to p,matta spares looking for cusso brake shoes for a $1.00 ea. Oh, those were the days!
In the event you think you know everything, just listen to the guy next to you who knows more.
Ross Preen

Post by Ross Preen »

It would be fantastic if this car were still around, but sadly I think not.
JR won Top Eliminator with this car at the 1970 Nationals at Surfers, downing Peter Dykes in the ex B&M car in the final.
Kevin Pinkstone was very successful with the car and as Bob stated Kevin's side kick Brian Heinz also drove the car.

Kevin Pinkstone offered this car to me at the 74 Nationals, turn key with trailer for......$2700 !!........I didn't have $2700 :cry:

Ross.Image
ThunderRoad

Post by ThunderRoad »

Ross Preen wrote:It would be fantastic if this car were still around, but sadly I think not.
JR won Top Eliminator with this car at the 1970 Nationals at Surfers, downing Peter Dykes in the ex B&M car in the final.
Kevin Pinkstone was very successful with the car and as Bob stated Kevin's side kick Brian Heinz also drove the car.

Kevin Pinkstone offered this car to me at the 74 Nationals, turn key with trailer for......$2700 !!........I didn't have $2700 :cry:

Ross.Image
The Dragster is still around, we bought the dragster in late 2004, it was set up for a Cleveland and we put a 6 carb Y-Block in it try to get ready for Easter 2005 to run at the Hot Rod Rumble, But could not get the special big bore head gasket in time. We ended up getting the car running with the 6 carb Y-block for The Picnic a few years ago so Wayne McGregor could use it to promote The Nostalgia Drag racing in Victoria but we never ran the car at the strip. We pulled the y-block out and that is the one that is now in the channelled 32 5 window and we have stuck in a 392 Hemi, the Short block is meant to be out of an Altered that flipped in S.A.? In the late 60's early 70's, the heads where spares for a Nitro drag boat around the same period and the clutch and scatter shield is from the Ampol GT Dragster.
I did see that in one of The Drag News that the setup was for sale for $5250.
If any one has any more story or photos of the car please let me know.
STANLEY

Post by STANLEY »

Roy Horne still goes in to the Northern Auto Wreckers yard a few days a week, give them a ring & ask for him.
The rest are very hill-billy in an old school wreckers way.
He may have info or photos around.

I worked in the engine shop Roy owned for a few years, he was into money not Fords. Whatever could be wrecked or on-sold for a profit was his preference. He was more GM than anything else. He owned a few early Holdens, a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix, a couple of early MG's, Jenson Interceptor, WB Caprice & heaps of others.

He told me once the back of the Westmead yard was land filled with all the T & A parts (& other makes) that were worth nothing at the time. There were still lots of good finds in the yard but you had to dig around in long forgotten corners & crevices.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

The driver was not Brian Hines, but one on Kevin's crew who drove the injected rail after Kevin purchased his blown S/B Chev rail from, I think it was Russell Jones. Brian who drove it died in the last year or so and I cant recall his surname.
Brian Hines had an injected 392 Hemi A/D and moved from Sydney to Adelaide and took the rail with him.
Ross Preen

Post by Ross Preen »

Bob I do stand corrected on Brians name I was sure it was Hines / Hienz, but anyway here is a photo of him (and me) at the Gnoo Blas Classic last February, he lives in Dubbo, this is the guy that drove the car.
Ross.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

At the Last Winters someone told me he had recently died, but I cant remember who or the details of it.