Helpfull hints for fitting Jag Front end

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
California Kid

Helpfull hints for fitting Jag Front end

Post by California Kid »

G'Day All,

I've taken the stock 48 chev front end out and slid the Jag front end in under the rails. Now what do I do??? : ) It would be great to see some pics of other peoples installations, so "go ahead post some pics"!!! I would really like to get it right the first time.
Cheers!
blacki

Post by blacki »

Check out yetis project in the construction section there's a few pics in that.
I'm sure 32 coupe may have done one as well ( i think i seen pics some where on here) and they will have plenty of info for ya.

Check your pm's cali kid i have posted a different question privately to you.

Thanks
Blacki
Taking to pieces is the trade of those who cannot construct.

Proud member of "Little Bit Country Rodders".
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

um yea theres some on my build page, I um well borrowed the idea off 32 Coupe, and I know Frank has doen a really good job on his chev as well, just stand back and look at your rails, theres more than one way to fit a cat
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
a25Chevrod

Post by a25Chevrod »

Mate heres a pic from when I mounted the Jag into my '25 pickup

Jaguar actually made it really easy, as long as the base of the crossmember is level both directions then its in correct position, then all you have to do is work out where your rails are going.

On the '27 roadster I dropped the springs out and set the crossmember up on some 125mm box section . Set it up perfect level on floor and then lower chassis over it and set up rear height on stands

Hope this helps

a25Chevrod :!:
I love anything that turns $$$$ into Noise

It's never too late, to have a happy childhood!!

Live everyday like its your last because one day it will be
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Here's a few pics of a 46 Ford,

and a few of a 46 Dodge Pickup,

Try and retain all the stock Jag rubber mounting points, it makes the ride so much smoother, cheers, Col.
32coupe
Old Hand

Post by 32coupe »

I kept all the Jag rubber mounts and fabricated the front brackets to suit, them tacked them in place on the chassis.

At the rear I made 6mm plates and tapped a thread into them to bolt the Jag mounts and welded them to the chassis.

Job done :wink:
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exersize machine,

Proud Oz-E-Rodders member
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

the rear of my front end is mounted identicaly to 32 Coupes (funny that :lol: ) my rails are different and actualy pinch in further and are silghtly shorter so I desided to copy the OEM front spring mount (as seen in image A) with some fabricated front mounts along the lines of 32 Coupes but with a twist (as seen in image B)

Image A

Image B

Ive seen some other ways on chevs as Col has shown on the dodge (I very nearly did this but decided on my own twist) there are a couple of other people on this forum that have done this I'm sure they have or will read this and will post up as they helped me but I so I'm sure they'll do the same for you
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Here's the Studey setup

Here's a link to the front in the Commer
http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopi ... =48+commer
Regards Bob
rusTstuff

Post by rusTstuff »

No Pics but my 39 Plym has been set up the same as the 36 Ford above using fabed brackets to pick up Jag original rubber mounts and all attached to RHS front rails after splicing them into the original rails once the Plym front end was cut off. All seems to fit up really good.
rusT
Why paint perfectly good rust ?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

When adding any front cross member with the independent setup and you need to drop it more than fitting under the chassis, is it better to section the chassis to fit the cross member up into it or section the cross member to drop the chassis down into it? Or is it just different every time according to the circumstances and no rule of one way only?
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
dodgemark

Re: Helpfull hints for fitting Jag Front end

Post by dodgemark »

looks sweet i hope i can get my front end worked out
A field car runs through the fields, droppin' cow shit all over the place to make the lettuce grow.
howler

Post by howler »

what are the width of the front mounting points ?,,cheers jas
allways in the shit,,its just the depth that varies
rweales1

Re: IFS installation

Post by rweales1 »

Gojeep wrote:When adding any front cross member with the independent setup and you need to drop it more than fitting under the chassis, is it better to section the chassis to fit the cross member up into it or section the cross member to drop the chassis down into it? Or is it just different every time according to the circumstances and no rule of one way only?
Hi Marcus, I am installing an LC /LJ Torana front end to the '48 Rover chassis for my build and my engineer was adamant that I do not cut the crossmember, but cut out the chassis section to fit over the crossmember and rebuild the chassis rails around it. He wants it to mount the same way GMH designed it...rubber mounted. Many on here that I have seen would have done it the other way, so I guess it is really personal choice, or whatever you are asked to do. Personally I would have notched the crossmember, but then I am not the guy who has to sign off on it. One of these days, I will actualy get it finished for my engineer to inspect it! :roll: Cheers, Rob
tub1935

Post by tub1935 »

you wont regret this swap took my f100 for first run today with a jag in it ,man it drives great why have i wasted so many years with holden stuff
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

For a rough working guide .Front bushed outriggers are 50mm wide at the bush cover/retainer. Rail width that will slide between them is around 680mm

Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31