3M Paint.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Clevo

3M Paint.

Post by Clevo »

The local Supercheap is now stocking 3M paints in place of the Septone paints.

Has anyone used 3M Thinners and Primers ? Are they any good ?

At a guess 3M have bought out Septone and has re-branded there products. The product range and descriptions on the cans seems exactly the same as Septone's gear.

Cheers

Clevo
fc427

Re: 3M Paint.

Post by fc427 »

[quote="Clevo"]The local Supercheap is now stocking 3M paints in place of the Septone paints.

Has anyone used 3M Thinners and Primers ? Are they any good ?

At a guess 3M have bought out Septone and has re-branded there products. The product range and descriptions on the cans seems exactly the same as Septone's gear.

Cheers

Clevo[/quote]
"Think" this is how it went down
When ACI sold Dulon to PPG they were not allowed to go in to Aotomotive paint production for 12 years or so ???now that time has lapsed they are making paint again and seems to be just as good as Dulon was before when they were market leader in automotive Acrylic lacquer , Super Cheap dropped Ceptone to be replaced with 3M in the same way they droped MotorSpray to go with Septone all about the $$$$ .................... very cheap on the premixed colours ....around $120 for 4 liters I just paid $286 for 4 liters of PPG Acrylic ....FC427.....
bages

Post by bages »

dunno what anyone here thinks of K&H paint products but I know a few things like their filler and rust inhibitors are actually sourced from 3M. Supercheaps main competitor stock K&H gear..........I guess now there is even less difference, but may help keep prices low.....
santa28a

Post by santa28a »

3M owns both K&H and Meguirs, 3M has owned K&H for about 3 years now and bought meguirs in Sept 2008.
Steve Clayton,
Member - Australian Street Rod Federation
Life Member - Fine Iron Rod & Custom Club Inc, Celebrating 45 years in 2020
1947 chev pickup, 1946 Plymouth special deluxe sedan, 1950's bondwood caravan,1929 Ford A Closed cab pickup
adventurekel

Post by adventurekel »

ok.. words from the insider here.

The 3M branded paint is manufactured in the K&H plant, and is the same K&H paint as sold in any other paint retailer. An exclusive deal has been done with Supercheap to sell under the 3M name for a specified period of time. 3M bought all store stock of Septone paint, not the Septone company (they will probably crush the Septone stock). The Septone companyis still Australian owned and made, and still trading strong. Cleaning products and industrial chemicals are their main business, and the lost of a large retail market is no huge loss for them. Check their website to locate a supplier if which to still shop Australian for paints.

The 'Motospray' paint as used to be carried by supercheap is in fact the exact same paint now carried under the 'Australian Export' brand. The brands 'Motospray', 'Export', 'Series 500'and others are all logos the MMP Industrial company manufactures under. The buyer (in this case, Supercheap) specifies what 'brand' they want the can to say. They will also manufacture under custom brands, which is what Autobarn and Auto-One do with their 'own' brands of paint.

Kel.
Blackadder

Post by Blackadder »

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Is the 3M paint any good? I didn't quite get the answer from the above replies.

Would you paint your car with their product?

Cheers,

Andrew.
"Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?" - Mr Edmond Blackadder the Third.
Toddc

Post by Toddc »

I bought 2 different cans of black 3M acrylic lacquer from Supersheep when they first started to stock it. One can was great, the other was rubbish.....

For the time involved in doing proper prep, I wouldn't risk using it on a whole car.
wardy

Post by wardy »

i agree with toddc
u get what u pay for id prefer to pay a couple of extra bucks and go get some quality paint from paint and panel supplier like autolac here in cardiff,newcastle
cheers wardy
cant be good,be good at it...............
Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Septone got kicked out of super cheap auto and 3M took over under the condition they buy all the remaining stock off the shelf. 3M purchased K&H to get recognition with a well known brand name in Aus paint industry. After the big fire they had all paint production was outsourced to Sydney to a company called Omega International Coatings, turns out this is the same company that was manufacturing the paints for Septone.

So really, i assume the paint products are the same just in different cans as the manufacturer is the same.
Lamo

Post by Lamo »

Anon1 wrote:So really, i assume the paint products are the same just in different cans as the manufacturer is the same.
They are definately not the same. The 3M etch primer and surface primer are totally different to Septone. I actually prefer the Septone primer - flows really well with 1.8 tip and seams to 'thicken up' when drying making it easier/better to sand.

The 3M Etch Primer is VERY similar to the K&H brand. Really sh!tty to sand, not that it really needs it. Goes on a bit too thin for my liking.
Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Omega International Coatings is the manufacturer for all of these paints anyway !

Im sure they have more than one formula specified under different brands. Therefore one product they make for 3M and one product they make for Septone. Word is 3M is pulling out completely and Septone is coming back in.
Toddc

Post by Toddc »

Anon1 wrote:Omega International Coatings is the manufacturer for all of these paints anyway !

Im sure they have more than one formula specified under different brands. Therefore one product they make for 3M and one product they make for Septone. Word is 3M is pulling out completely and Septone is coming back in.
Might be the same manufacturer, but they certainly are different formulas. If they would produce a paint that's mid way between the two it would be a much better product all round.
Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Well people are now jumping over the brand names and buying the same products from omega international as they are the manufacturer for all these companies lol...

Ive used Omega Bumper Coat and 3M bumper coat, the only difference was the brand name and oh yeah i saved about 50 bucks !
compact
Old Hand

Post by compact »

goota say i like ppg.....easy to use and hardeners swap over on somep products....i dont bother with the cheaper stuff....i always worry about all this work and later down the track having to do it again
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
http://www.ozerodders.com/

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

Once a panel beater - painter ... ALWAYS ... a panel beater - painter :wink:

ive been out the trade for about 10 yrs . i did my apprenticeship using Dulon and their volume tinting system , but always used Spartan paint at home

as they were around the corner on Hanson rd :wink: :D

i believe spartan got bought out by Wattle .

at home i used Spartan wildfire super x for custom work and C.O.B or diamond clear . what compares with their super x colour and clear these days .

ive looked at house of colour and spray chief . But their colours just dont cut the mustard :wink:

i still dapple with homies using protect ( coz it's cheap )

the pic of OUTLAW is Spartan

I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties