Re: Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Post by Ford pickup 50 »

cords wrote:any one found a supplier in sydney for citric acid

Blackwoods
Regards Paul
krusty

Post by krusty »

anyone ever tried reverce electrolicis , using a battery charger , it works a treat . there is threads on this site showing this method
Harko

Post by Harko »

It doesent show on their website so I rang the number ,not open :roll: ,Its 9<40 monday night :) gawd .
The emergency number only gets you abuse :)
You're puttin on the agony mike but your missin all the style
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

Any Rural supplies store will b able to get it, but you will need to split a bag with someone if u only order one coz the price drops $100 or so per bag wen u order two bags or more, i was just gonna order a bag myself till i saw the single bag price :shock: :twisted: If anyone in the south SA or VIC wants some let me know will split a bag with ya or if there are a few I can get the price down further.
Gerry
hugh ness

Post by hugh ness »

Tried looking on blackwoods. Couldn't find a thang.
Found this but:
http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/ ... ves/940039

probably the same mob on oBey, I mean eBay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CITRIC-ACID- ... 1e60d18fdd

Anyone know what a bath bomb is? When I was a kid I'm sure I used to make them in the bath, but mine were made of methane, hydrogen, carbon dioxide...never citric acid...
cords

Post by cords »

ok so i now have a rather large bag of white powder after pulling my hair out some one reminded me there is a bulk chemical place down the road from home that i used to buy bulk washing liquid from :oops: so i wander in ask if they have citric acid and i will be bugered if he didnt say how many bags you want $2.90 a kg + gst in 25kg bags and even beter than that he gave me a 1000l water tank that they can't use any more because the inside is all ruffed up so happy days if your after any in sydney here is the details
Venture Chemicals Pty Ltd 21 Cawarra rd Caringbah 025262686
Pariahs C.C.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

hugh ness wrote:Tried looking on blackwoods. Couldn't find a thang.
Found this but:
http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/ ... ves/940039

probably the same mob on oBey, I mean eBay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CITRIC-ACID- ... 1e60d18fdd

Anyone know what a bath bomb is? When I was a kid I'm sure I used to make them in the bath, but mine were made of methane, hydrogen, carbon dioxide...never citric acid...
A bath bomb is a nice girly smelly thing that u place in bath tub, think salvital mixed with essential oils :shock:
gerry
63wagon

Post by 63wagon »

ive been hunting around the WWW for other rust eating ideas .
i found info on a forum for BMX bikes .
how they use ''oxalic acid'' to get rust of the chrome & such .(also known as wood bleach) ?
im having trouble finding it in my area .bunnings havent got the crystals .but have other cleaners with oxalic acid in it.
i did buy some ranex rustbuster from bunning to try .the worker said it was good & apparently contains oxalic acid . :|

anyone tried this oxalic acid .?

dave ..
marshal_au

Post by marshal_au »

For the last week I've been conducting a bit of an experiment with citric acid. Rather than submerse the part I've just been painting it on with an old paint brush, liberal coating and repeat every 24 hrs for a week. The result is a part that looks no different to what I started with. The acid solution seems to "dry out" and by the time I get back to it, it's like tacky/semi dry paint. Now I know that these results don't really help anyone but I thought I'd post it anyway. Some of us have quite large parts to clean and I'm trying to find a way to avoid the need for a swimming pool sized tub and huge amounts of citric acid.
Does anyone else have any ideas, maybe a circulation pump and a drip rail all fitted inside a plastic tub, keep the acid circulating.?????
Cheers,
Marshal J
[img]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/Marshal_au/Avatar-1.gif[/img]
ash

Post by ash »

krusty wrote:anyone ever tried reverce electrolicis , using a battery charger , it works a treat . there is threads on this site showing this method
Yeah it works really well.
I use a 400w power supply from a PC, battery chargers tend to burn out or "trip" their overload circuit.
jumma

Post by jumma »

ash wrote:
krusty wrote:anyone ever tried reverce electrolicis , using a battery charger , it works a treat . there is threads on this site showing this method
Yeah it works really well.
I use a 400w power supply from a PC, battery chargers tend to burn out or "trip" their overload circuit.
Gday ash
Im interested bout this setup u talk of with the computer power supply !

Did u have to add to it or modify it in any way ? And what voltage output are they ?

Cheers jumma
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ash

Post by ash »

Yeah mate its easy as, it is modified slightly but doesn't take much.
This site gives a basic run down - http://jumperone.com/2011/06/atx-power-supply-tutorial/

I used a 500W server supply and its going strong after 5 years and much rust removed.
You can get 3.3, 5 and 12V out of them - I just went 12V and didn't worry about the others.
marshal_au

Post by marshal_au »

I'm managed to score a couple of acrylic bath tubs from work if I want them, they have some minor cracks around the top edge and are not in a salable condition. Anyway I don't know if the citric acid will eat it's way through the acrylic over time. Would anyone know the answer to this. I did a google search last night but couldn't find a yes or no answer.
Cheers,
Marshal J
[img]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/Marshal_au/Avatar-1.gif[/img]
PlymouthBel

Post by PlymouthBel »

marshal_au wrote:For the last week I've been conducting a bit of an experiment with citric acid. Rather than submerse the part I've just been painting it on with an old paint brush, liberal coating and repeat every 24 hrs for a week. The result is a part that looks no different to what I started with. The acid solution seems to "dry out" and by the time I get back to it, it's like tacky/semi dry paint. Now I know that these results don't really help anyone but I thought I'd post it anyway. Some of us have quite large parts to clean and I'm trying to find a way to avoid the need for a swimming pool sized tub and huge amounts of citric acid.
Does anyone else have any ideas, maybe a circulation pump and a drip rail all fitted inside a plastic tub, keep the acid circulating.?????
I would love to hear how you go with a pump and the acid as I have been looking at buying a product from the states called safestrustremover http://www.ultraoneusa.com/shopdisplayp ... st+Remover. It looks awesome and 4 litres makes 19 litres but at $150 for the 4 litres I like the look of the citric as I have a whole car to dunk.
Have a look at this for a result

If anyone knows of a product in Aus that can do this please let me know as the only one I can find looks the same but they have already diluted it and $70 for 5 litres will not go far.

First post so hopefully it works :)
The Answer is often easy its the Question I have trouble with.
barnsey
Old Hand

Post by barnsey »

malt vinegar.....$15 for 20 litres......... :D from most wholesale food places, no mess, no bad smells, just submerge in malt vinegar and check your parts 24 hours later to see how its going, some parts might take a little longer 30 or 40 hours depending on how bad they are, but its cheap and easy to use.

before

and 24 hours later and a wash with warm soapy water and an old plastic nail brush.