Latest purchase, 1954?? desoto diplomat custom ute

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
stepto and son

Latest purchase, 1954?? desoto diplomat custom ute

Post by stepto and son »

heres a link to a ute for restoration dad brought on the weekend, he now has 6 projects on the go at the same time

its 100% complete, but has been dismantled by previous owner

http://gallery.oldholden.com/stepto+and ... lomat+ute/
Sinister

Post by Sinister »

I've got the hood ornament off the last one to come off the line here. It's mounted on my custom coffin instead of a crucifix...
Cool ute!
Need a Tow? Call me: 0401 267 450. Melb S/E
http://www.facebook.com/magtowing
stepto and son

coffin??

Post by stepto and son »

that's something different.
cheers for your reply also :)
Gman

Post by Gman »

Should be a mighty fine looking beast when it's all done.

What's the plan?

Graeme
stepto and son

plan

Post by stepto and son »

knowing my father, it will be re-assembled as is, just to confirm that nothing is missing, then it will most likely be pushed to corner of shed and another project come in. if it is built, it will probally just be restored. im eying it off, but gona wait till its assembled b4 i make a offer. been trying to look on internet for info about it, seems rare
guru/gregg

Post by guru/gregg »

I bought a 56 dodge ute (same body) off a restorer with plans ta restore the body, hot the flatty6 up and just lower it on w'walls with lancer caps.
I ended up gutting and bracing the body shell and throwing the rest, it was to far gone to restore rust wise, the chassis/driveline i gave away.

Looking outside i can see her, sittin in primer and under cover, she's wild, channeled deep over a GM floorpan/chassis , has a vintage V8 auto combo, a restored 56 interior with a 3ft shifter and is customised in a 60's semi-custom style like all my rides. I must add her exhaust note is purr-fect.

I guess, one mans trash is certainly another mans treasure.
if i can draw it i can build it.
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

guru/gregg wrote:I bought a 56 dodge ute (same body) off a restorer with plans ta restore the body, hot the flatty6 up and just lower it on w'walls with lancer caps.
I ended up gutting and bracing the body shell and throwing the rest, it was to far gone to restore rust wise, the chassis/driveline i gave away.

Looking outside i can see her, sittin in primer and under cover, she's wild, channeled deep over a GM floorpan/chassis , has a vintage V8 auto combo, a restored 56 interior with a 3ft shifter and is customised in a 60's semi-custom style like all my rides. I must add her exhaust note is purr-fect.

I guess, one mans trash is certainly another mans treasure.
When can I come pick her up Gregg? :wink: :wink:

Stepto, you lucky SOB! The horn ring is undamaged and the dash looks mint! how cool. To top it off the grill is pristine! OMG!!

Not that I'm jealous at all :wink: :wink: I still miss my 52 like crazy, hopefully one day I will be able to build something or buy something to replace her.
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
melburgorbust

Post by melburgorbust »

That is just lovely! never seen one of those as a ute before
Suus: Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign
guru/gregg

Post by guru/gregg »

Hope it easily restored parts are getting scarce, theres a 54 desoto ute here in orange being restored by the owners of the local art supply store.

I'm told that these utes came from the U.K as station wagons and were converted here, the pinchwelded rear door skins are visable from the inside. Also the bodies have lots of lead in them i've seen it up to a half inch thick so be carefull undertaking rust repairs.
stepto and son

Post by stepto and son »

Im having disagreements with dad about this ute being a import.
from my Google search, i think all ute bodies up to 1956 were imported, and they started producing the Australian made body in late 1956.
dad swears this is a 1954 ute, and its made in Adelaide.

the dash gauges are smiths, and look identical to the fuel gauge in our Morris, so perhaps your right in saying UK import.

apparently the gold knight badge stands for factory window tint, the common knight badge color is silver

we have to source new front engine mount rubber, any idea on where??
Sinister

Post by Sinister »

Sinister wrote:I've got the hood ornament off the last one to come off the line here.
I was told it was from a '55? I'll find out next time at the hotrod shop that this ute was being done.
Need a Tow? Call me: 0401 267 450. Melb S/E
http://www.facebook.com/magtowing
guru/gregg

Post by guru/gregg »

i'm not sure where you can source parts but try the VIC and NSW dodge owners club i gleaned numbers straight off there web page, called em up and got good advice straight off the bat.
Unfortunately we just moved and we still haven't found my phone book containing all my phone numbers and email address's in relation to dodge, desoto and plymouth info.

I don't believe utes were imported from anywhere oversea's, a company here in victoria converted em for TJ Richards or so a former chrysler employee told me, us aussies invented the ute.
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

stepto and son wrote:Im having disagreements with dad about this ute being a import.
from my Google search, i think all ute bodies up to 1956 were imported, and they started producing the Australian made body in late 1956.
dad swears this is a 1954 ute, and its made in Adelaide.

the dash gauges are smiths, and look identical to the fuel gauge in our Morris, so perhaps your right in saying UK import.

apparently the gold knight badge stands for factory window tint, the common knight badge color is silver

we have to source new front engine mount rubber, any idea on where??
If your talking about the sandwich mount for the sidevalve 6 then I have one here, brand spanking new. shoot me a PM.
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)