Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
fargo

Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Post by fargo »

Hi All,

Just thought i would put this up as i have searched around and found this to be the best economical and efficeint way to remove rust from panels and parts.
Most of you may know this already but thought i would share as i did a search and minimal info came up.

Citric Acid Solution to remove rust from panels does an amazing job very little cost and made from citrus.
I can purchase 1kg of citric acid crystals (used in cooking) at a food store for $4.00 and diluted with 15 litres of water makes the solution (add more to make more solution)could probably buy it cheaper and bulk from a chemical supplier

Left over 24 hours does wonders the picture of the parts below have been left in longer around 2 days a very light wire brush then put into the solution removed then a scrub with a platsic brisstle brush and hosed off.

I know coke and alot of other soft drinks and substances have citric acid in them this was easier and cheaper.

After finished a light wire brush then there ya have it.

Any thoughts good or bad let me know!

Before
After

Cheers
Dean
302-coop

Re: Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Post by 302-coop »

WOW way cool, just waitin for the bad news :shock:
Gerry
cords

Post by cords »

amazing :D
Pariahs C.C.
coe1948

Post by coe1948 »

When i am reconditioning motor bike carbies and fuel taps which are diecast i boil them up in water with lemon juice i even through the skins in the mix as well it brings them up like new.I must that i wait for my wife to go out first :roll: :roll: :D i am now looking for an old dish washer to use as a parts cleaner

Regards Dale[YouTube][/YouTube]
fargo

Post by fargo »

Just to add and correct me if i am wrong the Molasses method is similar the fermet reacts and turns it into cirtic acid just takes longer from what i have read and seen.

Cheers
Dean
barnsey
Old Hand

Post by barnsey »

malt vinigar from woolies or coles, $2.50 for four litres, also does the same job, you just need to make sure you wash everything really good in soapy water afterwards or it keeps eating away at the metal. check parts every 12 hours, these discs came up like this after 18 hours soaking in mault vinigar, when removed you just use tap water and a dishwashing brush, then repeat washing in soapy water.
before
after
fargo

Post by fargo »

Did think of the vinegar later but wasn't 100% sure what it would do but definatley works well will keep that in mind also

Cheers
Dean
63wagon

Post by 63wagon »

where can i buy the citric acid crystals in 1kg bags ..woolies has small jars,i would need alot to make up a 30lt tub mix.
i have a few rusty 63 ford parts that need cleaning up .( must have been parked near a holden at some stage ,lol) :)

thanx
dave ..
fargo

Post by fargo »

Not sure where you are but i am in Adealide and got them from Gaganis Bros a bulk food store here maybe try a chemical supplier as i beleive you can buy it in 20kg bags

Cheers
Dean
wot179

Post by wot179 »

W.S.C.C.A.
St Marys chapter.
63wagon

Post by 63wagon »

thanks guys ..
im in s/e QLD .
i was hoping to find it at my local woolies /coles etc ..
ive checked a few sites (google search).but cant travel far ,.ill see what i can find .
fargo

Post by fargo »

Nearly forgot the first lot i bought was from the home Brew shop quite a bit dearer at $17 kg but was close buy .
Maybe even a health food store not 100% though

Cheers
Dean
63wagon

Post by 63wagon »

ill give my local home brew shop a try ..ty ...
Blackadder

Post by Blackadder »

Very interesting. Does this stuff only work by immersion? How would you go about doing large panels? The rear guards from my Wolseley have quite a bit of active rust on them and I'm thinking they will need something doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Andrew.
"Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?" - Mr Edmond Blackadder the Third.
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

Drew wrote:Very interesting. Does this stuff only work by immersion? How would you go about doing large panels? The rear guards from my Wolseley have quite a bit of active rust on them and I'm thinking they will need something doing sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Andrew.

I Think phosphoric acid? Hotrod andy Used on his surface rust, seemed to do the job.. Must admit i havent tried anything myself as yet.. but need to do so soon.. roof interior, front & rear guards :lol: :lol: :lol: