thru the frame Brake fittings

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
redsx

thru the frame Brake fittings

Post by redsx »

looking for information about thru the frame brake fittings and what anybody else is using, most of the ones I have seen have 3 AN male fitting for the brake hose and a 1/8" npt female fitting which would require a three way block screwing into it. Is the 3AN fitting allowed on brakes here as I thought they had to be an inverted double flares.
ken1939

Re: thru the frame Brake fittings

Post by ken1939 »

You are correct about them using the 3 AN fittings. When it comes to the flare, it depends on the brake line material. Steel needs a double flare, Stainless only needs a single flair.

Some of the brake lines I have used that are AN fittings have a screw cap female end, and behind the flare is another "Stopper" looking device.

Not sure what your state requires, I know from where I am sitting I cannot answer that question. I used the 3 AN Fittings on my brake system. Its comperable to the 3/8 24FF.

The advantages to the AN fittings are the brake hoses. They are all cap threads and go on nicely, and you can get several legnths premade. I did have to adapt from my master cylinder lines to the remainder of the brake system, but I used residual valves and the math worked out well.
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

Even though you can buy -3AN from places like Rocket Industries, I think you will find they are not acceptable for NSW rego.

They don't have a double flair, only a taper thread to seal.

Stainless Bitz in Caloundra has what you need :wink:
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

VIEW MY WEBSITE- http://www.lonestarbodyshop.com.au

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

You can machine a AN dash 3 male fitting to duplicate a 3/16" IFF by machining a 45 degree inverted seat on the end. You can also machine the existing 37 degree seat to 45 degrees, and use a SAE flare nut with a double flare 3/16" brake line. All of them use the same 3/8" 24 thread.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
tuff32c

Post by tuff32c »

lone*star wrote:Even though you can buy -3AN from places like Rocket Industries, I think you will find they are not acceptable for NSW rego.

They don't have a double flair, only a taper thread to seal.

Stainless Bitz in Caloundra has what you need :wink:

AN fittings are not legal in any state as they don't have a taper for sealing..
I concur Alex at Stainlessbitz is spot on! Has everything in stock and usually delivery from Qld to Vic was next day!!
He also has the through frame fittings as well, make sure you get a catalogue off him....
redsx

Post by redsx »

Thanks guys I had seen the through the frame fittings in the Rocket cattledog and thought that there might be an issue with the AN thread. Wasn't there someone in VIC selling them as well, most of the small guys seem to have gone by the way side.
37chev

Post by 37chev »

we have through chassis fittings that have 3/8 female thread each side, I use banjo bolts on the inside and the hose can go straight into the outside with a 3/8 fitting
$100 a pair from memory? (I'll check in the morning)

I think you can see enough below

www.armadaleautoparts.com
iroc

Post by iroc »

Check out VPW. They have a full range of stainless steel brake fittings and ADR Approved Lines
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

great thread guys - I've alway wondered what the go was with those fittings and how people got away with them.
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

Keep in mind that when these are installed and ready to bleed, there will be air above the plimsoll line which is not possible to bleed out, it may eventually clear through usage.

Art Morrison Enterprises. Fife, Washington. have overcome this feature by inserting a sleeve to take up the space inside the fitting, but they are likely threaded -3AN, with no copper or aluminium crush washer, not legal here...
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
redsx

Post by redsx »

So are you saying you can't bleed the air out of these fitting, even with pressure bleeding? So may as well just use standard brake bracket and clips on top of the chassis?
slimfromnz

Post by slimfromnz »

37chev wrote:we have through chassis fittings that have 3/8 female thread each side, I use banjo bolts on the inside and the hose can go straight into the outside with a 3/8 fitting
$100 a pair from memory? (I'll check in the morning)

I think you can see enough below

What brake line clamps have you used
Royden Hardcastle
1938 Chev Sedan LS3 power
1928 Dodge Senior Six BBBuick power
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Great pic for demonstrating those through the frame fittings Alan. 8)

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

slimfromnz wrote: What brake line clamps have you used
Royden, I think they are Billet Specialties, same as in the model A RPU, they range from 3/16" through to 1/2" and come with a countersunk S/S machine screw...

Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

Popey

Post by Popey »

Mick Kelly wrote:Great pic for demonstrating those through the frame fittings Alan. 8)

Mick.
But not the location or routing of the flex hoses!