Recommendations for electric power steering pumps

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Outffocus

Recommendations for electric power steering pumps

Post by Outffocus »

Hi,

Just after any recommendations of good electric power steering pumps.

It'll be going in a 61 Caddy so no real issue with space. The engine is a 383 Chev and suspension is airbags if these things affect the power steering pump choice.

I see the TS Astra pump is popular on ebay and have had Toyota Hilux items mentioned to me too.

I don't really want one that is part of the column as the column has had to be custom made as a collapsible unit and would prefer a unit I can hide under the guard if possible.

Is anyone running one of the electric power steering pumps with good success, I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.

Cheers,
Greg
Litldv8

Re: Recommendations for electric power steering pumps

Post by Litldv8 »

Got a mate running a ts Astra pump on his foulcan with the standard steer box. Gives good feel and feedback. We also upgraded to a 110 amp alternator at the same time though.
Outffocus

Post by Outffocus »

Litldv8 wrote:Got a mate running a ts Astra pump on his foulcan with the standard steer box. Gives good feel and feedback. We also upgraded to a 110 amp alternator at the same time though.
Cheers for the feedback Litldv8! :D
nomadawhat

Post by nomadawhat »

There are a couple of threads on the subject on trifive.com forum, under the "Trifive Steering , Power and manual- Rack & Pinion - 605" area. Look for a thread started by member "Waid302" on the subject - thread is titled "$35 Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos". He has posted lots of info on different units. If you can't find it, send me a pm with your email address and I'll pass it on.
Cheers, Des
Outffocus

Post by Outffocus »

nomadawhat wrote:There are a couple of threads on the subject on trifive.com forum, under the "Trifive Steering , Power and manual- Rack & Pinion - 605" area. Look for a thread started by member "Waid302" on the subject - thread is titled "$35 Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos". He has posted lots of info on different units. If you can't find it, send me a pm with your email address and I'll pass it on.
Cheers, Des
Thanks Des, I'll check it out!
Much appreciated! :)
Outffocus

Post by Outffocus »

That guy has really done some in-depth research into the elec pumps! A great way of having the functionality of power steering without messing up your engine bay!
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

Post by mgtstumpy »

'In order to use the Electric Steering with power steering box or power rack and pinion, they must converted to manual by tack welding the input shaft to worm shaft or input shaft to the pinion shaft. They must be one. This is how I welded my input shaft to the pinion shaft in my rack and pinion. I removed the valve sleeve.'
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthre ... 6&t=165556

Only in America do they do things that wouldn't meet engineering standards here and get away with it. I wouldn't be doing this and hoping that I got away with it. When it failed I wouldn't want to the one in the hot seat answering the hard questions about metallurgy and destructive testing etc! :wink:
Outffocus

Post by Outffocus »

mgtstumpy wrote:'In order to use the Electric Steering with power steering box or power rack and pinion, they must converted to manual by tack welding the input shaft to worm shaft or input shaft to the pinion shaft. They must be one. This is how I welded my input shaft to the pinion shaft in my rack and pinion. I removed the valve sleeve.'
https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthre ... 6&t=165556

Only in America do they do things that wouldn't meet engineering standards here and get away with it. I wouldn't be doing this and hoping that I got away with it. When it failed I wouldn't want to the one in the hot seat answering the hard questions about metallurgy and destructive testing etc! :wink:
Cheers mgtstumpy! Thanks for the info!