tripower

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
nrnr29

tripower

Post by nrnr29 »

Hello, i currently have a 350 chev engine (mild/stock) with a turbo 400 trans. i am considering to remove the holley and install stromberg 97 tripower
i will run 1 x primary and 2 x secondaries or 3 x primaries. The web contains information but seems to have conflicts. i need to know if i will encounter
problems with my stock setup and if the tripower will be a waste of time and lots of hard earn`t money thrown away. the new stromberg 97 are not cheap
and the accessories to complete the setup along with the manifold can up in excess of $3000 or should i just update the intake manifold and new 600 cfm carb.
i have spoken to a number of rodders who say the new strombergs are great and perform well but to stay away from the aftermarket holley 94 (copies).
i would also like any information or details anyone in melbourne has experience on the stromberg setup and tuning.
enjenjo

Re: tripower

Post by enjenjo »

If you are looking for a performance gain, look elsewhere.Trips look cool, but if they were better you would see more of them.

From my experience with a mild engine you are better off with a primary, secondary setup with a progressive linkage. Particularly with an auto trans. That gives better idle quality and less bog on acceleration. Also better fuel economy. The secondary carbs have to seal the throttle plate closed at idle to keep the idle consistent, and setting the idle speed and mixture off the primary carb, turning the the idle screws on the secondary carbs fully closed. There are secondary bases available that eliminate the idle circuit completely.

It takes some time and fiddling to set them up, and they do look cool.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
snowcone

Post by snowcone »

I just put a new Holley 600 on my 350 and it's perfect for it.
The new ones are polished aluminium, look great and only cost $450 on eBay, and yes they are genuine Holleys, not Chinese copies.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HO0-1850SA-H ... c-Ca7n-axg
nrnr29

Post by nrnr29 »

enjenjo wrote:If you are looking for a performance gain, look elsewhere.Trips look cool, but if they were better you would see more of them.

From my experience with a mild engine you are better off with a primary, secondary setup with a progressive linkage. Particularly with an auto trans. That gives better idle quality and less bog on acceleration. Also better fuel economy. The secondary carbs have to seal the throttle plate closed at idle to keep the idle consistent, and setting the idle speed and mixture off the primary carb, turning the the idle screws on the secondary carbs fully closed. There are secondary bases available that eliminate the idle circuit completely.

It takes some time and fiddling to set them up, and they do look cool.

appreciate the advice
nrnr29

Post by nrnr29 »

snowcone wrote:I just put a new Holley 600 on my 350 and it's perfect for it.
The new ones are polished aluminium, look great and only cost $450 on eBay, and yes they are genuine Holleys, not Chinese copies.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HO0-1850SA-H ... c-Ca7n-axg

appreciate the advice and suggestion.
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

As has been said, the Holley will pull the tri power setup backwards but it won't look as cool on a hot rod (I am presuming Model A from your username). I like horsepower more than looking cool - I have a knack of making the coolest stuff look daggy lol

Why not run a full hood & sides and blow the $3k on a Quickchange rearend :mrgreen:

Ultimately it is up to you what you run - building cars is all about making choices

Good luck

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams