4L60E Transmission electric oil cooler plumbing

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
KustomKulture62

4L60E Transmission electric oil cooler plumbing

Post by KustomKulture62 »

I've recently purchased a B&M electric oil cooler for the 4L60E and am woundering has anyone ever fitted one and if so which method is best to plumb them in.
I've YouTubed the fitting and all they say is fit using rubber hose and clamps but I'd like to plumb the lines directly into the transmission.
Wondering would disconnecting the cooler in the radiator be recommended and plumb the B&M into where those lines come out the transmission or maybe fit tee fittings and plumb the new cooler into there as well.
GigglingMonkey

Re: 4L60E Transmission electric oil cooler plumbing

Post by GigglingMonkey »

KustomKulture62 wrote: Wondering would disconnecting the cooler in the radiator be recommended and plumb the B&M into where those lines come out the transmission or maybe fit tee fittings and plumb the new cooler into there as well.
I've done it both ways with Traumatic boxes, not a lot of difference, slightly better bypassing the rad, especially if you replace the rad with a manual one.

mick in glen innes
WORK the curse of the Rodding classes
1956 Mainline
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: 4L60E Transmission electric oil cooler plumbing

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I would plumb it straight to the box as a stand alone ,leaving the radiator "cooler" out of the equation . Use metal lines from the trans as far as you can go ,using the proper rubber lines to connect up to the cooler .
Reason for my logic. The radiator " trans cooler" is contributing to heating your radiator tank . Rubber lines harden with heat , mounted to fittings at the trans where most of the heat is ,hastens the hardening process .
Just harking back to our Trimatic Commodore when a visit to a scrap yard to unload a trailer . These Commodores used something like 400- 500mm of rubber lines from fittings on the trans to the steel lines that ran forward to the radiator. A piece of pipe on the ground flicked up under the vehicle , one rubber line cracked open and trans fluid everywhere. It was that hard and brittle it had no give and fractured . The vehicle had to be towed home . I fitted new rubber line sections and noted some time later that the hardening process was underway . Later Commodores with T700 4L60 did the opposite . Steel lines from the trans right through along to using rubber to connect to fittings on the radiator. Our current Commodore with this set up has pliable lines for a much longer period
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31