Sump plug kits - where to buy

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
KustomKulture62

Sump plug kits - where to buy

Post by KustomKulture62 »

I'm wanting to weld a sump plug into a Commodore transmission pan and can't locate a kit anywhere.
Been to all the car part places and other automotive parts places but no luck. Yesterday I even went to the wreckers to buy a whole sump that I could remove the sump plug area but they don't sell lose sumps.
I've had a 4L60e transmission rebuilt and before fitting it to the rebuild engine I want to fit a drain plug into the transmission pan.
Has anyone purchased such a kit and from where, maybe from online.
Harv

Re: Sump plug kits - where to buy

Post by Harv »

Bought a transmission drain plug kit recently (2 weeks ago) from VPW.

Cheers,
Harv
Litldv8

Post by Litldv8 »

Last time I put a drain plug in a auto sump I went to a bolt shop and bought a 10mm flange bolt and nut and a copper washer and silver soldered the nut to a flat spot on the inside of the sump. Cost a couple of bucks
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Pans are now $17 from "Pick A Part" d :roll: own our way . Trouble is they punch a hole in them to drain fluid out . :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
I questioned the logic of selling something damaged when I got a replacement pan some years back, telling the guy that anyone wanting a pan is replacing a damaged one . I had some other stuff ,and he did not charge me for the pan . I guess one reason for not fitting drain plugs that at aside to make draining cleaner . You are forced to drop the pan , when changing fluid it is a prompt to inspect the pan for metal debris and change the filter .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
KustomKulture62

Thanks for the help guys, someone suggested I use an O2 sensor kit which should do the job perfectly and have just order this one off ebay.
ImageSump Plug by Specialized 29er, on Flickr
KustomKulture62

The kit arrived on Friday, now to Tig it into place and yeah no more messy pan removals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Litldv8

Post by Litldv8 »

Do you have room to put the bung on the inside? Less chance to tear it off if you bottom out over a gutter.
KustomKulture62

Gord, she'd wanna sit low to bump the plug. I was going to mount it down on the lower section but really no need.
Its only to drain the oil before removing the pan, otherwise a messy job.
When deciding where to mount the bung I did the plasticine pressure test and in that area there's about a 13mm of clearance between the internals and the pan.
I'll sit the pan back in place and measure the clearance and slide the bung inside as much as possible before Tig welding it in place.

Thanks for the suggestion.