Holden brake advice needed

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
monte
Old Hand

Re: Holden brake advice needed

Post by monte »

I removed the residual valve from the MC so hopefully tomorrow I can reco the callipers and get it all back together again :D :D :D :D
Thanks for all the advice :D :D
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Dave wrote:Oh and some quick advice, do not buy the cheap crap Chinese boosters or cylinders off Ebay (chrome or otherwise) Buy PBR stuff.
I was not happy with the MC as it has been sitting around for a few years so I pulled it down and didnt like what I found so a new MC is the go ,now Dave all PBR stuff is made in China and has been for the last 20 yrs according to my information .The only Aussie Stuff is available however it is original and it would have been sitting on the shelf for a lot of years and would need a kit in it and the kits are made in China , prices start at $500 which is a bit over my budget
I have looked at all the options and Bosh now own PBR apparently so that is all china stuff too ,I am starting to think they are all made in the same factory .The Protec is about $120 delivered to me from a brake place with a warranty,so guess that is the way I will go .any ideas anybody are welcome
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Some Chinese stuff is questionable . Last Nov I replaced all four wheel cylinders on a 54 Ford . I put the vehicle on the market recently ,and had an enquiry from a potential buyer this week who made a time to view the vehicle, moved the vehicle for a hose down and found one front brake grabbing :shock: :shock: :shock: . Pulled the drum and the new wheel cyl was leaking :x :x :x :x :x :x :x . Replaced it . :D :D :D :D :D :D .
I threw the old one up the backyard ,then had to find it after my wife commented on the next thing will be busted mower blades adding to my rage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I agree about the china shit Frank but what do you do ,its all made there ,like if you buy one of the aussie made PBR MC they have been sitting on the shelf for 20 yrs and will need a kit in them but the kit is made in china so back to square one really :D :D :D :D :D
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Ok got the new MC and recoed the front callipers and all looks good we have brakes ,I just have one question ,the bloke that made the final lines to the MC said the big outlet always go to the front brakes and on this MC is at the rear of the MC closest to the booster and the rear ones are at the front with the small fitting which they are but on looking at some of the Holden sites there is lots of different setups ,Why is this Holden shit so stupid :D :D :D
fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

Hi Monte, you've missed taking your "Happy Pills" again haven't you :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe what he meant to say was " pipes go to the front brake system, BUT the front brake reservoir is closet to the brake booster..
I would give him a call & double check first.
Cheers Rob
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I am happy mate ,the point is that the 9/16 unf fitting is at the rear of the MC nearest the booster but some of these MC have it the other way around anyway it is staying the way it is as it all seems to work ok :D :D :D :D
fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

Hi Monte, Good to see it is working.... K quite often use what I call the "T.L.A.R." method......"THAT LOOKS ABOUT RIGHT"
47merc

Post by 47merc »

Dave wrote:My 40 coupe runs disc/disc and uses a standard HQ master cylinder which works perfectly. The trick is to buy a brand new HQ disc/drum master and remove the seat from the rear port, then take out the residual pressure valve and put the seat back in. You now have a disc/disc master cylinder, easy. Mine works just fine and I am running huge rear 4 spot calipers. Because my cylinder is under floor and below the rear calipers I did have to put a 2lb inline residual valve (for discs) to keep fluid pressure up to the rear calipers. If you run the cylinder and booster on the firewall you will have no problems.
Hi Dave
What type of booster are you using in your 40 and do you have a remote fill reservoir. Also would you need the inline residual valve if the rear had drums?
Thanks
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

47merc wrote: Hi Dave
What type of booster are you using in your 40 and do you have a remote fill reservoir. Also would you need the inline residual valve if the rear had drums?
Thanks
Under floor powervac booster is from an F100 around 1973. Pretty compact and was recently reco'd by Terry up at Hydroboost in Echuca. Best brakes since I have owned it. If I was running rear drums I would definitely need residual rear pressure and would have left the factory residual valve in the HQ master cylinder which are around 10lb. The disc one I put inline is only 2lb and stops the rear 4 spots from draining back. I do not have a remote fill, I have a hole in the floorpan so have to pull up the carpet and lift part of the floor off to fill. I plan to make that easier at some stage.

Monte the front and rear reservoirs are the wrong way around on an HQ cylinder and yes the large port is front brakes! Most companies get their parts made in China now, but generally the 'brand' parts such as PBR are made to a much better standard and quality control. All the glass for new Holdens and Fords has been coming from China for many years and so have many of the components. It is the way things are now.
Dave Petrusma
van460

Post by van460 »

Crs make an adapter to fit a quick fill vt mc to the hq booster