Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
toprodz
Old Hand

Car Rotisserie

Post by toprodz »

I know some one asked about these a while back, but I can't remember who :roll:
anyway I spent today/sunday at work and started making a rotisserie for a job
It is fully adjustable to suit nearly any body or chassis style
Here are a few photos I still have to get some casters and a few bolts etc during the week and I will post up more pictures when they are completed
I am also considering adding hydraulic rams like the engine crane style to help rasie and lower them, I will just see how they work first.

Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
tony carter

rotisary

Post by tony carter »

I have a rotisary that I did use for my Restoration work.We fitted a fly wheel at one end and made a shaft up with a handle on it to hold on a starter sprocket onto it.It also has a telscopic head as dose yours.I use trailer stubs to turn on as these were fairly cheap.Ive had big cars like mustangs,Aston martins,39 fords,on it and no problems with the weight.You just have to be careful as to were your pacement of the brackets go.Keeping in mind the centre point of gravity is lower than the centre of the car,because all the thick metal in the car is in the suspension of the car.Hense all the weight is in the bottom of the car.
For instance when I mounted the Mustang on the rotisary I made up my own brackets that made the car mount from the b-bar mounts, but pivoted from about 6" fom the top of the radiator support.
Other wise it turn out like an egg when it rolls.You take out the pin and you need three guys to hold the car and turn it around to where you want it.With the starter fly wheel I do have a bolt through it for safety.But I can usualy wind it around by one hand the gearing is beautiful. Tony
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Hi Pete,you could have had a look at my rotisserie when you were out here,might have saved you some planning time. I've been making these to order for some years,you'll find them invaluable for assembly and paint work,certainly saves the lower back. Here's a pic of one of a pair I built for Holden guy Phil Munday early this year,shows the FX that Brocky took to Goodwood a couple of weeks ago,

If you need to have a sticky,you're welcome,cheers,Col.
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Well I fitted some casters and put a chassis in it to finish it before I attach it to the chev body
Hey Col thanx for the offer I might try and get over there one day in the near future and have a look. That might not be till the cup day swap though, I made one in the past for a SL190 mercedes but it is not adjustable so I have made this one adjustable in every direction I could :roll:
Tony I like the idea of the crank type arrangment you mentioned I might look into that for the next one I have to make
Regards
Peter Gough
Tyson_

Post by Tyson_ »

We have an engine stand with a big crank on it at work, it's a great design. I should have got some photos when I was there picking up some tools today.
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Hey Tyson I would love to see some pictures if you can get them sometime, no rush just when you have time :)
Regards
Peter Gough
Tyson_

Post by Tyson_ »

Well Im getting some X-rays done next week and have to go back to work once I have results, so I should be able to get some then.
Redned

Post by Redned »

TOPRODZ - What sizes are the 2 bits of box section that slide into each other?

redned
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Redned the tubing is 75x75x4mm and 65x65x4 it makes it pretty heavy but there is very little movement in it
Regards
Peter Gough
michael037

Post by michael037 »

Pete
Looks like you have been busy. I see that there seems to be some interesting projects in the background of the shots you have posted. I hope there will be some interesting eye candy for inspiration at the BBQ. I can remember seeing pictures of a unit fabricated some time ago that used a centre pivot irrigator gearbox with a hand crank to power the rotating of the project. The travelling irrigators I sell also now use these gearboxes to power the hole reel rewind mechanism.
Michael
coe1948

post subject

Post by coe1948 »

Peter i have got some right angle reduction gear boxes that are fitted with hand wheels that would be suitable if you want one let me know and i will drop one out to you and i do not want any thing for it

regards COE1948
Dogsbody

Post by Dogsbody »

That rotisserie looks shit-hot... nice job.

Dunno whether you meant you were going to attach the chev body to the chassis that is hanging on it or not, but if you are then the chassis looks like it is in upside down in the photo. When the body is attached all the weight will be on the wrong side of the off-centre adjustment.

I guess it may only be in there for the final construction of the rotisserie... but thought I'd better point it out just in case.

Cheers,

Dogs.
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

Hey thanx for the kind words guys

Dale I would be interested in that gear box as I will have to make another one in the near future and maybe it could be built into it,

Hi Michael037 yeah there is a few interesting projects waiting in the wings at the moment, I will post some pictures as they progress, The next BBQ hopefully will have something interesting, but I am not sure when to have it, I was thinking of oct / nov but it is very hard to pick a day when there is nothing else on, so the next one might have to be in April/May and then maybe one again in late August / September. any comments are welcome on that idea :wink:

Dogs the chassis is only in it to test it out and finish a few bits on it and then paint, When it comes out I will be putting the body into it and sending it out to be media blasted
Regards
Peter Gough
tony carter

Post by tony carter »

Old Col that funny you say Phil Mundays and me living 3000 km away in QLD now,I know who you mean.I used to live in Mooroolbark and surrounding suburbs for 35 years.I used to work at Tankards panel service in Ringwood with Graham Thompson,Who used to have a shop across the road from Phil Mundays.Wow that was when my son Danny was born 17 years ago.Still working on cars,but instead of customers cars now I'm working on mine.Woohoo.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Nice job! Wish I could weld that well.
Please don't think I am nit-picking but there will be a lot of strain on the weld where the outer tube meets the upright, would it be better to mount the tube ON top of the upright and have that telescopic? Or maybe just a gusset under the tube?
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?