6v53 GM blower

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
trackdodge

6v53 GM blower

Post by trackdodge »

Anyone had anything to do with these? ive done alot of google searching but there is very little info on them. i bought one on the weekend and wouldnt mind having a fiddle with it, apparantly they are what weiand and cragar blowers are designed around
fredeuce

6/53

Post by fredeuce »

If it is a genuine 6V53 blower then it may not be ideal for what you want.
The traditional GM blower is the 6/71 which was fitted to an inline 6 cyl two stroke diesel. They are constructed with a substantial flange on the base which is where they bolted to the original GM block. These lend themselves to easy adaptation to small/big block V8s. This has been going on for over 50 years. It has also resulted in a significant aftermarket industry by the likes of Weiand , Cragar etc as mentioned.

The 6V53 is a small (318ci) two stroke diesel engine in V6 configuration. These blowers do not have the flange at the base but are held on by studs that engage with lugs on the side of the blower housing. Not an ideal arrangement when it come to adapting to a V8.
fredeuce
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

here is one fitted to a six -
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

trackdodge wrote:here is one fitted to a six -
That is not a 6-53, it is a 6V-71. It's similar to a 6-71 in size, but similar to a 6-53 in mounting.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

how about this one on the mustang - http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/the%20cars ... %20Mustang
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

enjenjo wrote:
That is not a 6-53, it is a 6V-71. It's similar to a 6-71 in size, but similar to a 6-53 in mounting.
I thought 6v-71s bolted on the side with angled bolts?
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Not yet but one day, I have one of those backburner projects that sometimes gets attention when I get the time. :) 8)
Last edited by neatride on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Heres some more, perhaps there could be a tech link for blower identification. :) 8)
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

now we're talkin, what needs to be done to these to make them streetable? do they need bearing conversions or is it easier to run oil to them?
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

trackdodge wrote:
enjenjo wrote:
I thought 6v-71s bolted on the side with angled bolts?
The Mustang has a 6-53 blower. The fin spacing is different. On second look the 32 has a "pruned" 6-71 on it.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
trackdodge

Re: 6v53 GM blower

Post by trackdodge »

neatride wrote:Heres some more, perhaps there could be a tech link for blower identification. :) 8)

4-71 on the left and 6v-71 on the right.
Redned

Post by Redned »

Trackdodge - I've a complete original GM manual for these blowers. It covers all of the '53' series blowers, how to ID them, decode the numbers and more importantly dismantling and re-assembly. It's a pretty hefty book. If you'd like it then send me a PM and we'll discuss getting it to you.

Cheers Redned
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

does anybody know this car? looks like a neat set-up http://www.hotrodfeatures.com/Feature0305.htm
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

6V53

Post by mgtstumpy »

John KEAN here in Brissy. A lot of handmade bits and pieces on this one and a lot of detail. Hardly drives it these days, sits in his shed. Business and family commitments along with his fleet of other cars.
Last edited by mgtstumpy on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

6-53 blowers are an oil pressure feed for the bearings because they are like cam bearings instead of the standard ball bearing type on other blowers, weiand and b&m while similar have there own castings and end plates. You need to supply oil under pressure from the engine to be fed into the front or rear bearing plate and then "T"ed off to the other, and then returned to the engine after the oil has passed through all bearings. 71 and 90 series blowers after modified for gas can usually be used with a bath type lubrication up front for the gears ie no oil from the motor just contained to the front blower housingThere are a few holes on the bearing plates that you wont need so they need to be plugged. If you slow down and pause that inline blown video you will see on the left side of the blower what I mean. First point of call might be a call to mr fischer for advice. :) 8)