6v53 GM blower

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
dollar99

Post by dollar99 »

I've had an old 6/53 sitting in the shed for a few years now and as neatride said, it's a bit of a backburner project. The plan is to use a machined torker manifold to increase intake area, in much the same way as neatride's pics.

I've done a lot of google searching and seemed to come up with the same info yu have. I do recall some time ago 34 pickup (Phil ?) had converted an M90 (Commo supercharger) snout for the 6/53. I can't remember the thread though but I do recall it was for another pickup, maybe a 32? Some one else may recall this.

I do believe Bob Fisher makes (or did make) snouts for these. I also believe there are bearing adaptor plates made for these that take away any requirement for constant oiling- Not sure if Fisher's do this also??

I also got in touch with the "elsberg tuning" bloke a few years ago too and his set-up sounded very agricultural but quite simple.

I'd be very keen to see you get it up and running and may motivate me to get this one off the backburner!!
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Trackdodge pm sent. :) 8)
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
van460

Post by van460 »

enjenjo wrote:
trackdodge wrote:
enjenjo wrote:
That is not a 6-53, it is a 6V-71. It's similar to a 6-71 in size, but similar to a 6-53 in mounting.
I thought 6v-71s bolted on the side with angled bolts?
The Mustang has a 6-53 blower. The fin spacing is different. On second look the 32 has a "pruned" 6-71 on it.
Owner claims that it a 6/53 that he build for the engine
dollar99

Post by dollar99 »

I'm keen to keep this one alive as it has inspired me to get mine up and running. I believe bob fisher does drive snouts for these but i'm interested to get other ideas for snouts.

Neatride-what are your plans for a drive snout??
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Been a little busy lately. will run pressure fed bearings and engine australia in lanyon st dandenong now have a blower rebuild kit in for me at $120, Front plate ihas been made in 2 peices, cheers :) 8)
width of front plates.
Maching drive snout hole
This way I end up with less machined waste
Maching out centre
Radius' added to intake plate
Stack height of reworked intake manifold
Almost finished
Last edited by neatride on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Today, manifold now trimmed and awaiting blowoff plate. :) 8)
YNOTU2
Old Hand

Re: 6V71

Post by YNOTU2 »

mgtstumpy wrote: John KEAN here in Brissy. A lot of handmade bits and pieces on this one and a lot of detail. Hardly drives it these days, sits in his shed. Business and family commitments along with his fleet of other cars.
I spoke to John a few years ago about his car & he gave me the contact details of the bloke who did all the machine work on it.
(now.................if I can only remember who it was :? )

Anyway, I did phone the bloke back then & he said he'd 'do it all again'
I'll have a dig around for his phone number & if I find it, I'll pm you.
He is also in Brissy.
CHEERS,
Rod.
[url=http://www.ozerodders.com][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/YNOTU2/oer-member.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.rodsandrelics.com.au/][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/YNOTU2/RODSRELICSLOGO31-12.jpg[/img][/url]
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

A little more done, I decided to redo the top plate on the manifold so I can run oil gallaries through it to feed the blower bearings. Made a crank pulley similar to buickroadster and fccools one(thanks fellas) a spacer was made in aluminium to save weight.
Commodore power steering(a pickapart style wreckers in dandenong tried to charge me $48 for the pulley cause they wouldnt seperate it from the pump, so I went elsewhere)
action shot of maching drive snout
Match drilling retaing holes
Drive snout bearing retaining plate made.
Ended up maching a relief onto the snout so I could get the caphead bolts to sit flat.
Drive shaft pulley bolt holes drilled. Larger hole is so I can get the m5 flathead capsrews in for the bearing retaining plate.
mock up of snout for driveshaft length.
Thats it so far, still heaps more to go, cheers. :) 8)
buickroadster

Post by buickroadster »

looking really good.just remember to get your pulley ratio's right.i've found thet stock motors will take up to 6 lb's of boost with no trouble.(and it IS worth the effort)-if a little bit of boost is good,a lot more is better!!
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

lovin it!!!! so much for the nay sayers!
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Love seeing the machine work shots showing it being made.
Always love any time I get to work a lathe and dream of owning my own one day.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Now back from WA and back into it, pic shows all components used for drivesnout. I took the easy way out for the spline and am using the original coupling that came with the blower, Shaft has been cut 50mm long and other shaft drilled, one slid inside the other and low temp silver soldered then crossdrilled 5mm. Using a new drill bit, hole was drilled and section of bit was cut off drill bit shaft. I figure that this part is toughed steel but wont snap, weve all twisted and bent drill bits but havent snapped them off at the shank so i'll suck it and see.
Centre bearing has now been replaced with a spacer, I assembled it all together and spun it over by hand and was a bit tight, put it down to having no clearance between the bearings and what felt like the middle bearing slipping inside the housing.
Radial lip seal installed and all final assembly, seal is to stop blower gear lube oil washing away grease from bearings. I could of used the excess blower gear oil to lube the bearings but this way the seal and the bearing seals have to fail before oil escapes, my opinion.
:) 8)
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

Hi all

Yes there is one in WA but it is a 4/53. The pics of the WA one are in the members ride section of this forum under Acme 32 ford pickup. @ http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=16136

And yes Phil did / does all the work. I should also say that Roland De Longe? has has one set up on his 1923 T bucket for many years and showed me how to set up the oiling on it. His used a modified version of the original snout.

Here is a couple of pics from that thread

A bit embarasing because it has been a long time since I posted or we worked on it so if trolling through the pages it is quite a way back :oops: .
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

Was the WA one with the 4/53 ever finished? Got any more pics? I'm about to play with the oiling next, how much psi oil was he running in what size feed tube and what size exit tube. I've bought some fittings today and have another running motor to do assembly on, final running idea is to incorporate the oil pressure sender into the ignition so no go without pressure. cheers. :) 8)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

I like the detail to the side of the adaptor plate under the S/C above. Very nice touch.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)