6v53 GM blower

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Bates

Re: 6v53 GM blower

Post by Bates »

Hi, the long plate is a finned side plate for a blue flame Chev, The rear blower plate is just smooth but am changing the pattern around to match the fins on the top, should have one in a couple of weeks. Once I have them all machined and working I will advertise and take orders if anyone is interested, cheers
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

Bates wrote:Hi, the long plate is a finned side plate for a blue flame Chev, The rear blower plate is just smooth but am changing the pattern around to match the fins on the top, should have one in a couple of weeks. Once I have them all machined and working I will advertise and take orders if anyone is interested, cheers
Thanks for the above info. I have another late 50's hull that is beyond rebuilding that I want to coppy (clinker ply) and have a flathead, y block, power glide and 2 spare 6V53 blowers. Picked up a marine 3x2 Y block marine inlet at a swapp meet the other week but after running the blower on the flathead for a season I would not go back to NA. Looking for a V drive to complete the drive line. I do have issues with going to an OHV engine though :D .
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

neatride wrote:Was the WA one with the 4/53 ever finished? Got any more pics? I'm about to play with the oiling next, how much psi oil was he running in what size feed tube and what size exit tube. I've bought some fittings today and have another running motor to do assembly on, final running idea is to incorporate the oil pressure sender into the ignition so no go without pressure. cheers. :) 8)
Well it was a long wait but yes it was :D

Engine is an 8BA with a 4" merc crank and the 400jr cam. After some adjustments along the way it was time to work on this but final assembly of the blower took a little bit longer as there were no seals for it in WA and they had to come ex east :evil:

Pinched an idea of a hidden pcv valve from the HAMB to do this - using a Toyota tarago PCV valve fitted into a core plug which is then fitted into what was previously the downdraft tube then hooked it up with flexible high temp line under the manifold so you won't see it. 8)

The piece of pipe that the PCV is fitted to is a shortened (but stock piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe) that presses into a stock standard hole towards the front of the valley in the 8ba engine. The idea is that fresh air comes in to the engine via a breather, goes down below the valley and into the lower crank case then comes up at the front of the engine and out through a breather (the out breather in the stock engine is in effect a 1 1/4 inch piece of steel pipe that goes straight into a road draft tube).

In effect the pvc mod gets rid of the road draft tube (which I no longer have as I fitted an earlier inlet manifold) and plumbs the pcv into the hole that was previously fed the road draft tube.

Thus no oil is sucked into the valve only air. It is actually a very simple mod but takes a bit to get your head around it.

Fitted in the pickup with all the oil lines and belts hooked up. At bit more paint and some detailing and the engine will be done 8).

Ok we might have a short clip with video and sound with the engine running - click on the pic (sorry don't know any other way to do this)

And then it was beverage time :D :D :D

Last edited by Jeff Hitchins on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Nice very nice. :D :D
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

There is nothing like the looks of a roots blower! I'd love to have one myself. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)