6v53 GM blower

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
neatride

6v53 GM blower

Post by neatride »

But it does look AWSESOME!!! If you still want to run it this way, perhaps a 30mm spacer behind the drive snout and riun a chain drive to the other side? your call, and lets start a thread in the hotrods and classics section for cool old speedboats I have nothing to show but if someone has some cool pics of their classic speedboat pre 1970 throw them up please, cheers Nick :) 8)
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

To fix the drive going the wrong way I just need to make another cover driving from the left gear instead of the right, which I have started to work on and should complete this week. 2 new fuel lines will also have to be bent up. lucky I have not positioned the tensioner yet but it may work out better this way with clearance to the oil filter.

Will sort some pictures.
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

Still unable to work out how to post a full size image. the imageshack page I am on looks totaly different to the one in the tutorial!
[/img]
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

When copying the link from Imageshack after you have pasted them to your post simply delete "th." from the link and that's all there is to it.

echotoo wrote:Still unable to work out how to post a full size image. the imageshack page I am on looks totaly different to the one in the tutorial!
[/img]
fredeuce
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

If all else fails it would make a neat letterbox
Regards
Petrolhead
[b]Happy to be living past my "USE BY DATE" as in August 2007 they gave me 6-12 Months to live[/b]
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

Lake Glenbourne in all it's finest.

guessing you're going to have to modify that timber engine cover as well

Very cool, job well done.

Question though, any photo's/details on that intercooler and manifold, both very nice units in their own right.

Cheers,

Drewfus :D
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

http://www.dayofthedrags.net/
echotoo

Re: 6v53 GM blower

Post by echotoo »

It runs! I have a couple of areas to fix including a fuel leak (new kit for one pump required) and a water leak due to a bad braze job on one elbow. Next will be a trip to Glenbawn dam to run it under load.

neatride

Post by neatride »

Congrats on the flatty 53, say what final drive in pulley ratio did you end up using, and have you got it to boost ? once again well done, Nick. :) 8)
If you think you can you probably can, if you think you cant, dont bother, Henry Ford.
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

Yeah it showed 20kpa on the gauge which is 2.9psi, currently the pulley is 0.8 underdrive. I made it bigger than needed with some extra meat, to start off on the safe side and I can skim the drive pulley, re groove and raise the drive ratio if required.

Inlet manifold is an old stock alloy one which was badly coroded, the entire floor has been cut out and rewelded with another skin underneath to give a waterjacket. Intercooler tubes came from a Cat or Liebherr oil cooler which have big enough cores to flow raw water and thick enough to weld end plates on to, there are 2 layers of tubes. Also built a new fuel pump stand to accomodate 2 fuel pumps, I'm told not to let one of these things lean out! Belt is a 6 rib VK commie, I need parts to be easily available.
neatride

Post by neatride »

New engine in now with new blower camshaft grind, thanks to echo-too's info I have decided to start lower on the drive with 30% underdriven. Have put the old manifold back on for the first 500 k's to sort out any probs and got the green light from the engineer to put the blower on and let him do his thing,cheers, Nick. :) 8)
trackdodge

Post by trackdodge »

hurry up! surely it wont take long to do 500ks!
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

Ran the boat under load on Sunday and pulled just under 3psi boost with the blower .9 underdriven. Only did a few runs as oil was being sucked out through the bases of the fuel pumps, the blower oil return is running too close to the pumps. I will have to run the return deeper into the valley.

Carburation initially flat spots off idle then runs clean. I don't need any more boost as power has increased significantly :D !!!
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

Have been out skiing for the last couple of weekends with the engine running well. Carburetion is now spot on with the off idle flat spot turning out to be 3 of the 4 carb fuel pump jets blocked. Idle is 5 to 600rpm with a slight hunting - leaned the idle mixture 1/4 turn yesterday and lessened this, have been told that this is a blower "thing", is this to be expected? The new crow cam, without boost has made a huge difference to the bottom end power with it now showing 20" of vacuum at idle instead of 8" of vacuum with the isky 88 cam. Pulling a skier out now requires a slow controlled part throttle depression instead of flattening it! Prop (final drive ratio) has gone from 12" to 14" pitch.

Fuel economy, noise and starting were unknown concerns that would have seen the blower removed and a return to the NA setup. Had a fairly big day yesterday and used 25l of fuel, which is good. starting is as good if not better than it has always been. The blower has a bit of a pitchy whistle which is not a problem, it sits very close behind the driver!

How are the other 6v53 blowers progressing?

Image[/URL]
YNOTU2
Old Hand

Post by YNOTU2 »

Very cool 8) 8)

Thanks for the up date (sounds like lots of fun!)
Which we had Friday night (a bit of flat track'n, speedway style)
Haven't done anything towards fitting my little blower (I don't really need it & it sure wouldn't have helped the rear axle bearing I now need to replace :lol: :lol: )

still looking forward to see what ideas people come up with for fitting one to a Windsor :wink:
CHEERS,
Rod.
[url=http://www.ozerodders.com][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/YNOTU2/oer-member.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.rodsandrelics.com.au/][img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa174/YNOTU2/RODSRELICSLOGO31-12.jpg[/img][/url]
echotoo

Post by echotoo »

How do I run a PCV with the blower?

Just parked the boat up for winter. I have been trying to work out how to run a PCV with the blower since I first fitted it and have not had any acceptable solutions. I had a PCV running without the blower which kept any fumes out of the hull, it dose get a bit fumey out of the crank case breather between the fuel pumps when run hard then the girls complain!