Cool surf wagons

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
guru/gregg

Re: Cool surf wagons

Post by guru/gregg »

To most watermen like myself these surf wagon's are about as authentic as the dude that used to cruise the Newcastle beaches in the 80's with a surfboard bolted to his roof racks on his car. Just once I wanna see someone pull up in one with a board that looks like it gets regular use, a bit of sand on the carpet and a used beach towel or even boogie boards thrown inside. You can't mask the smell of the ocean.
if i can draw it i can build it.
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

guru/gregg wrote:To most watermen like myself these surf wagon's are about as authentic as the dude that used to cruise the Newcastle beaches in the 80's with a surfboard bolted to his roof racks on his car. Just once I wanna see someone pull up in one with a board that looks like it gets regular use, a bit of sand on the carpet and a used beach towel or even boogie boards thrown inside. You can't mask the smell of the ocean.
Like the Val wagon on the previous page? That belongs to Matt Chonoski who's well known in the northern beaches surf scene. Loves his longboards, hot rods and Valiants. He used to be involved with the old Sugar Mill surf shop but not sure what he's up to these days, he posts sporadically on his blog The Waxhead Diaries http://chonoski.blogspot.com.au/

Pariahs C.C.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

hewey wrote: Image
....hard not to be impressed with a car as quietly classy as that one Hewey..... 8) 8)
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
guru/gregg

Post by guru/gregg »

Cool valiant and I bet he might occasionally use it for carrying his boards as long as the wind was blowing offshore. Makes for a glassier face plus it cut's down on salt spray. A real killer with the old girls.

We once were offered a sweet lil AP6 wagon but passed on it when an auto couldn't be found for the slant 6, we'd only just bought Kats FC wagon. This is the green and white wagon that sported those 56 Packard taillights in the Aussie custom's post. It had bamboo inlaid door trims and venetians. When it sold last year it had Fc taillights refitted via ute rear quarters but they sat lower and slightly further out than stock . The Packard rear quarters were sold to a FE sedan owner.

My roof still sports two small shallow dents on my sedan roof when on a queensland roadtrip my rear rack collapsed loaded with boards. Only I know where to look so I keep them there for old times sake. Theres a framed picture here I took on the trip showing my car loaded with my surf sailing gear driving down a sandy beach access road so I could park closer to the beach. With my trusty old dog Holley (RIP) riding shotgun.
if i can draw it i can build it.
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

There is a good Vimeo clip with Matt Chonoski on Fuel TV - features his Valiant Wagon in it 8)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Pariahs C.C.
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Hewey, that Buick Woody in your original post, do you know anything of it's history ?
As you would know, that car would be as rare as hens teeth here in Australia & I think I may know that Buick from way back in the late 1950's to early 60's.
The official photographer at Westmead Speedway at that time was Des Lawrence & he had a Buick Wagon ( I'm sure it was a woody) which was the same colour as the one in your post. So if someone has brought it back to original it could be the car I'm thinking of.
Des was one very big man ( ie,very rotund) & a bloody nice bloke, & he could just fit behind the wheel. Des used to tow a fully enclosed trailer from which he used to sell photo's from. regards Ken
Ken 7
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

How well I remember that caravan Ken.
He used to hang all his photos around the exterior sides for us to see. No visit to Westmead was complete for us without a Des Lawrence photo. Most of the pics
I have posted on the other thread were selected from the sides of that caravan. :)
I had forgotten all about it till I saw it on an old speedway video.
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Sorry Ken, I dont know anything about that Buick. I think it was featured in Cruzin mag a few years back?
Pariahs C.C.
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

hewey wrote:LOVE this 8)
Hewey

Wow what a great custom. It is fantastic some people are thinking beyond what has been done before and still have it look classic, Thanks for posting.

regards

John
Kustom Kolour

Post by Kustom Kolour »

This is the wife's new grocery getter
Would look good with a board on the roof

k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:How well I remember that caravan Ken.
He used to hang all his photos around the exterior sides for us to see. No visit to Westmead was complete for us without a Des Lawrence photo. Most of the pics
I have posted on the other thread were selected from the sides of that caravan. :)
You are so right NB,I used to look every week to see if there was a new photo of my car. Des got on real well with all the drivers. Would you remember his Buick?
Ken 7
Vonfat
Location: Mornington Peninsula. The hot rod capital of Victoria!

Post by Vonfat »

Foose's rending of his Ridler candidate for 2015

Anything older and noisier than me is fine.......except women!!!!

"Do unto others, before they do unto you".....J.R Ewing
Vonfat
Location: Mornington Peninsula. The hot rod capital of Victoria!

Post by Vonfat »

Anything older and noisier than me is fine.......except women!!!!

"Do unto others, before they do unto you".....J.R Ewing
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

k7oaks wrote:
Nailhead Bucket wrote:How well I remember that caravan Ken.
You are so right NB,I used to look every week to see if there was a new photo of my car. Des got on real well with all the drivers. Would you remember his Buick?

NO, I honestly can't Ken, I think the photo van had me mesmerised in between heats on the track.
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.