Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
fatoztina40

Re: Rust Removal and Prep CITRIC ACID

Post by fatoztina40 »

can also use pool acid. go to kmart $12 for 2kg mix with water hey presto. if u want to go stronger go to pool shop and buy prediluted pool acid . gives off some vapour but deos the trick good. also works on dunny bowls to get the skid marks and stains off. lol just keep you head back pour a little in and use a brush. :lol: :roll:
who said fat is no good? on the right type of body it is.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

I work for a rural supply company and we get all kinds of chem, i will search for suppliers tomoro that have citric acid in large bags for y'all, I have no doubt I can find it an put u guys on the right trak to get it from ur local rural merchant, if u have a CRT, Landmark, Elders, NRI etc etc or an independent rural store in ur area u should b able to get it.
Gerry
fargo

Post by fargo »

Phosphoric acid is the one in most rust convertors will do the job but not to the extent of submersion for a period of time though.
It will convert/kill it but not to the extent of looking like new as seen in the photo's
Blackadder

Post by Blackadder »

302-coop wrote:I work for a rural supply company and we get all kinds of chem, i will search for suppliers tomoro that have citric acid in large bags for y'all, I have no doubt I can find it an put u guys on the right trak to get it from ur local rural merchant, if u have a CRT, Landmark, Elders, NRI etc etc or an independent rural store in ur area u should b able to get it.
Gerry
Thanks for that Gerry.

Cheers, Andrew.
"Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?" - Mr Edmond Blackadder the Third.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

Hi All, I have tracked down the wholesale supplier that we use for Citric Acid, the price is fairly high for a few bags but drops in a big way for 10 bags and further again on a pallet buy.
If there were enough wanting it down this way I can order some.
Will cost $80.00 if only a few.
10 bags will drop the price to $58.00.
40 bags will drop the price to $52.50
per 25kg bag

PM me with your interest

Regards Gerry
steve34

Post by steve34 »

Just a few questions , how long does this solution stay active for ? In other words if set up a tub to soak some doors , how many doors would i get done ? What do you do with the waste once it has lost its effectivness ?
Mad Mal

Post by Mad Mal »

Now all we need is someone with a swimming pool so we do whole cars :-D
fargo

Post by fargo »

Hi Guys

Not sure how long the solution lasts but mine has been in the tub for 2 months with bits going in and out and still going strong i would say it is indefinite just gets weaker maybe a top up every now and again depending how much you are doing .

And remember this is Citric Acid reasonably friendly as it comes from citris other acids will work the same or better but may not be as friendly to you or your panels.

Cheers
Dean
Ford pickup 50

Post by Ford pickup 50 »

I remember a thread something similar to this a short while ago. I have used citric acid to clean industrial air conditioner parts. I submersed the part in 150 litres of water and 20 kg's of citric acid then put air into it to agitate the mix.

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9&start=15
Regards Paul
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Do I understand this right?, citric acid, as in, out of lemons, etc? We have a tree laden with grapefruit that we can't give away, am I able to use the juice out of them instead of molases? At what rate % do I need to mix it at?
Thanks, Bryan
Harko

Post by Harko »

ha ha how many lemons do I squash off this tree ?
You're puttin on the agony mike but your missin all the style
Harko

Post by Harko »

Ive got some inner and outer sills - as in a complete sill from an early holden and submersing them would be awesome .

What about something I could then submerse them in thats cost effective to seal them afterwoods ,filling a tub full of paint might look good but .... :)
You're puttin on the agony mike but your missin all the style
cords

Post by cords »

any one found a supplier in sydney for citric acid
Pariahs C.C.
helples

Post by helples »

cords wrote:any one found a supplier in sydney for citric acid

http://shop.newdirections.com.au/epages ... 5KACIDCITR

bit pricy but not far away :P try make ur own soap suppliers they use it lots :D

or call this place

http://www.activechem.com.au/products/
if i don't do it who will?
cords

Post by cords »

we got to be abel to get it cheeper than that will look around when get a chance seeing how we have an abundance of rusty chevs in sydney :D :D :D :D :D
Pariahs C.C.