Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

Re: Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Post by mgtstumpy »

Awesome, having the right tools makes the job so much easier.
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

Thanks Stuart, handpiece looks similar to what we used to use in the trade.. Bloody heavy suckers! Rest of the unit looks the goods :D .. I'm sure some "switched on" designers could build a better/lighter handset, i just wonder why they havent yet!
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Inverter technology is brilliant, especially for the Auto Body Industry. One of the first I used was a FAN Welding inverter spot. Brilliant bit of gear, it would automatically sense the material thickness and auto set the heat and time. You could weld say 5 thicknesses of 1mm, no problem, 3mm to 1mm, no problem.
The last machine we had was a Caroliner Inverter Spot. Talk about brilliant. Automatic heat and time, but also automatic pressure and hold time. The computer controlled heart of the machine did it all, with a 99.9% accuracy. Amazing, aluminium, steel, coated steels such as zinc etc no problem, light gauge pipe, tack welding (in prep for Mig,TIG or OXY) and of course multi thickness built ups as well.
These machines are designed for the high strength, "variable thickness" and alloy steels used in todays auto bodies. Wish I had one :( I'll just have to be content with my old 240 volt hand held.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

rog wrote:Thanks Stuart, handpiece looks similar to what we used to use in the trade.. Bloody heavy suckers! Rest of the unit looks the goods :D .. I'm sure some "switched on" designers could build a better/lighter handset, i just wonder why they havent yet!
Rog,
The hand piece has 25mm solid copper contact arms and the air cylinder to clamp them, and the leads are 25mm copper, it breaks your back when you are out of position, lucky it gets hot and it's time to take a break.
I do have shorter contact arms made from aluminum, but I don't think there is any other way to carry the current. When the trigger is pressed and the computer fires the spot, the leads jump like a snake strike, enough to loose your footing if you are in an awkward position.
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

VIEW MY WEBSITE- http://www.lonestarbodyshop.com.au

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
hugh ness

Post by hugh ness »

I've met Stuart once or twice now, and he is one of the most down to earth, honest up front guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. (How about a discount now, Stu ) :D
I have a big project coming up soon, and, to be honest, after speaking with Stuart, I didn't even bother getting a second opinion about the job.
Top guy, great attitude.
Peter
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

What a great thread and thanks to you both for putting it up to share. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
cords

Post by cords »

that spot welder is one of my favourite toys at the momement and the plasma only have oxy at home :( but stuart is right took the 2 of us to do some of the rear cab welds him steering me holding my tongue right and the leads up been fighting the good fight with a pontiac roadster for the last few days im sure stuart or turns will put some picks up soon
Cheers the apprentice :D
Pariahs C.C.
angliageoff

Post by angliageoff »

thanks to turns and stuart for taking the time & trouble to create this post. this is what makes this site worth viewing, the thought & talent displayed to make the bed internal look like it was meant to be that way is bulk impressive. i feel i can learn from every photo, which improves my car. again many thanks. geoff
CarGuys

Post by CarGuys »

Really nice job and good post to Turns. I like the bed liner details and the wheel tubs especialy. Certain shows some of what Stewart and his crew are capable of. I llok forward to you taking on the roll as LoneStar picture poster.

Mark Shearer
whitey73

Post by whitey73 »

Awesome and inspirational post. Good to see land fill coming back to life! It's a credit to Team Lone Star and to the owner of the ute to have the vision for this project..... Makes me want to go out to the shed. :D
blown36

Post by blown36 »

Keep em comin Turns :!: 8)
Get Blown or get Blown Away
hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

Well done Turns ,Stuart and Cords. I love reading posts like this.Awesome work guys keep the post going, Thanks Steve.
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

There are comments here showing amazement at this build becoming something more than it ever had a chance of previously, My Primary school motto was "Persevere and conquer", and that is how I can get through these extended builds. A large task is broken down into managable jobs, mostly overlapping.

There is another build thread just begun in Construction, an International KB-5 that had rats living in it, I will post some photos of a KB-6 that will show the extent of rat piss damage. The cab was also extended 6 Inches through the roof, being 2 inches behind the door, in the rear cab area, and 4 Inches through the door.

This truck came from the Cumnock area approx. 1997, it had a grain bin on the back of it, and was used as a header chaser during the wheat harvest, and was in the shed for 11 Months of the year, owned by the rats.

These photos show the cab being cut and separated, then cover the gaps with brown paper to be able to stand back and get a feeling for the visuals, then blown apart for repairs to individual pieces.

The dash rework, including defrost louvres

Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

After the cab is welded back together, abrasive blasted and epoxy primed, the remaining repairs and rust is dealt with, the pillars and windscreen header panel are replaced, and the rear window opening repaired, hidden hinges from Pete Hagan are installed, firewall fabricated and installed, cowl sides, door skins shaped and TIG welded in and metal finished, cowl vent closed, Vintage Air air cond. installed, PWR power windows installed, one piece glass cut and installed, remote central locking...and on it goes...

Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

AR 110 Inter

Post by AR 110 Inter »

Awesome thread guys, will be keeping an eye on this one for sure, love the KB
Sometimes you just gotta do stuff to get stuff done !!!