Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
JohnL

Re: Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Post by JohnL »

Great work on the '36- another one well and truly saved 8)
Cranky31

Post by Cranky31 »

Metal insanity, Awesome Work guys.
"Living life, like i only have One"
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Hey Stuart

I suggested that the 1936 Coupe Ute was a good place to start the thread.............what's next???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am biased but how about your Model A hotrod??

What you started with was pretty far gone and it ended up at Motorex :shock: :?

Here is a build picture of the removal floor for M/C access etc

It would make a pretty lengthy post but certainly topical :wink:

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Beater

Post by Beater »

Stuart, you are indead the Metal Whisperer. It takes a great deal of skill and experience to reserect a body in that condition and I take my hat off to you. Not many would appreciate the planning and sequencing of the work needed to bring this car back to life let alone the skills required to perform the work. Skills like yours are a pleasure for all members of the forum to witness and they captivate and motivate us as well as entertain and enlighten. Thanks to both you and Turns for posting this thread, I look forward to future posts.

Cheers Mick R
38chev

Post by 38chev »

Beater wrote:Stuart, you are indead the Metal Whisperer. It takes a great deal of skill and experience to reserect a body in that condition and I take my hat off to you. Not many would appreciate the planning and sequencing of the work needed to bring this car back to life let alone the skills required to perform the work. Skills like yours are a pleasure for all members of the forum to witness and they captivate and motivate us as well as entertain and enlighten. Thanks to both you and Turns for posting this thread, I look forward to future posts.

Cheers Mick R
well said
youre not too shabby at all the above stuff yourself :|
reckon it'd be a great thing if you were also sharing what youve been up to
now someone get the man a packet of quickeze. ya gotta stop eating dictionarys for breakfast :P
Stuart has the luxury of choosing his apprentices. Youre stuffed there :lol:
cheers
Mick F
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

38chev wrote: Stuart has the luxury of choosing his apprentices. Youre stuffed there :lol:
cheers
Mick F
Ain't that the truth. It never ceases to amaze me what "rationale", some repairers apply, when choosing the apprentice. You would have thought that after 30 years, I would have figured it out. But I didn't. :shock:
Good to see Micheal R. is having a look in as well. Welcome Mr R.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
Bill Randall

Post by Bill Randall »

lone*star wrote: This truck came from the Cumnock area approx. 1997, it had a grain bin on the back of it, and was used as a header chaser during the wheat harvest, and was in the shed for 11 Months of the year, owned by the rats.

So, would that make it an actual rat rod? :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that. :D :D

Moving on - I've said it before - can't get enough of metalwork like this.
lone*star wrote:After the cab is welded back together, abrasive blasted and epoxy primed, the remaining repairs and rust is dealt with, the pillars and windscreen header panel are replaced, and the rear window opening repaired, hidden hinges from Pete Hagan are installed, firewall fabricated and installed, cowl sides, door skins shaped and TIG welded in and metal finished, cowl vent closed, Vintage Air air cond. installed, PWR power windows installed, one piece glass cut and installed, remote central locking...and on it goes...

Thanks for taking the trouble to put all these up. To see a finished build is good, but the step-by-step work in progress gives depth to the project that you can't get any other way.
Bill

Sufficient unto the day are the hot rods and customs thereof.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Hope to see more in the Inter build as right up my alley. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
hugh ness

Post by hugh ness »

Guys, what kind of an electric window mechanism is that in the last picture? Stuart, is that the unit that you were talking about last time we spoke? They look pretty a simple and foolproof design. pricey?
It says PWR, but I thought they only made radiators?
This unit looks like it replaces regualtor and everything?
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

hugh ness wrote:Guys, what kind of an electric window mechanism is that in the last picture? Stuart, is that the unit that you were talking about last time we spoke? They look pretty a simple and foolproof design. pricey?
It says PWR, but I thought they only made radiators?
This unit looks like it replaces regualtor and everything?

Peter, What I really meant was SPW(Specialty Power Windows- Forsyth, Georgia), the owner is wrestling with the choice of a PWR radiator or a a Walker Radiator from Tennessee.
You should consider these for your Buick, I have some kits with switches and wiring harness here now.
They are a well designed and built kit, 100% made in USA...
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

VIEW MY WEBSITE- http://www.lonestarbodyshop.com.au

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
42inter

Post by 42inter »

Turns, 4 pages since Sunday, now thats Impressive!
Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff! On top of working on your car and your own thread.
You seem to have inspired Stuart to start posting as well :wink:

Stuart, your work is awsome, as a sheetie, I aspire to one day be as good as you!
I love the KS6 build, with the long front on the bigger K's the cab needs to be longer. I've already stolen an idea from you,
my dash may have very similar louvers for the demister vents!
Thanks for posting and keep it comming I think youve started something here!

Cheers, Scotty.
It is true you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
.......... However most days I try to take a pigs arse and turn it into a hand crafted leather wallet!
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

michael037 wrote:Just to add to what others have already said, a BIG thank you to both of you. This is really the type of thread that gets my attention. Very clean work with a nice execution of the assembling. Have you repaired the door structures yet?
Michael
Todays progress involved separating the R/H door inner frame, which will be replaced to facilitate fitting SPW power window kits and new glass run channels, which will be folded up and curved to accept modern style bailey channels.

The doors were chemically stripped and rust removal dipped at Blacktown, I was a little disappionted with the result...

Door skins were wheeled up and trial fitted

Dies were cut for the Pullmax, which will be used to add the detail along the lower door skin edge, it has a different profile than the lower cowl and lower 1/4 panel, as it has to close onto the lower door frame edge

Last edited by lone*star on Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

Here is a link to the YouTube video of forming the lower detail in the R/H door skin with the Pullmax

Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

blown36

Post by blown36 »

That Pullmax makes quick work of it, we made ours with the bead roller, probably about 10 minutes work instead of a minute and a half. And the plastic dies are a lot quicker to make. Thanks for posting, anyone have a pullmax for sale :?: :lol:
Get Blown or get Blown Away
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

Just want to add my compliments to others on this thread. The words and pics are particularly easy to understand.
I never get tired of stuff like this on here.
I've done some basic vehicle restoration metalworking courses at TAFE, but for those of us who don't work in body shops every day these words and pics take some of the " black magic" out of the art of restoring old cars.
Your average hot rod shop understandably doesn't want rubber-neckers hanging around watching, so threads such as this are my best
source of info.
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.