Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
barnsey
Old Hand

Re: Team Lone Star - All Thriller, No Filler

Post by barnsey »

Awesome thread guys, there are some very talented metal guys on this forum, its great to see the cars coming together.

Turns..........If you have a long post and think you might be timed out, before you hit the submit button just copy everything you have just written then hit submit, if you find that it has timed out then all you have to do is start the post again, right click and paste and you will not need to re write it all again.
barnsey
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

Or even simpler write your post in a Word program such as MS Word, Works or even Notepad, then copy all the text, hit reply in the thread and post it all in then enter. Great thread, keep up the great work!
Dave Petrusma
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

Dave wrote:Or even simpler write your post in a Word program such as MS Word, Works or even Notepad, then copy all the text, hit reply in the thread and post it all in then enter. Great thread, keep up the great work!
I do this when writing long posts (Well OK some times I do) but when I do its also really easy to spell check it as well
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

Stuart,

That '36 ute will be a ripper.... great job on the tray... I take it the owner is going to show it and/or keep it mickey mouse?

Would hate to see even a scratch on the Ford script. :D

Cheers,
Brett Carroll
compact
Old Hand

Post by compact »

my internet went down for 2 days and i come back to this...... brilliant stuff :D :D :D :D 8)

hey stuart...not trying to ask for too much cos your being so great letting us see what you are doing....but if there is a chance id love to see more on the instal of the window kit and instal

also pm me a price on the kit... for a 4 door:)

thanks and please keep this thread going...its fantasic reading
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
http://www.ozerodders.com/

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

Brett,

Not sure if the owner intends to show this car, I think he just wants something to be proud of, he recently said that the original picture in his head included spray on "ChickenShit" in the cargo bed area, probably thought that was as good as it gets...I think the pivotal moment for the owner was the Ford logo or the aircraft detail in the rear support structure, I guess I just treat this car as if it was my own, and make the choices and balance cost against return on his behalf.
The last time he visited, he asked if there were any questions I needed to ask...No... I asked if he had any questions he needed to ask...No...It just works...there is some significance to the choice of year and body style...

Todays progress on the doors...The R/H skin and inner frame was removed, a temporary brace tacked to the lower frame and the door refitted to trial fit the skin and mark out the lines for tipping the edges . It is critical to have parallel and consistent door gaps, doubly hard on the curved front and lower edges

Image[url]

Image[/url]

The setting out for the door gaps is aided with this tool I made which allows me to "see" through the metal and scribe a line exactly parallel to the adjacent panel by running the scribe tool along the said panel, obviously the new panel is made slightly larger than necessary, which allows some positioning tolerance, and the extra material is trimmed off.

After hours of tweaking and trimming, the fold edges are tipped, using a combination of Jenny wheel, and a tipping wheel fitted th the English wheel, running into a Urethane lower anvil.

Image[url]

Image[/url]

When edges are tipped, usually the desired curvature is lost during the tipping process, and the edges are corrected for contour using the Shrinker/Stretcher

Continual trial fitting has the new skin mounted to the frame with Clecos, the blue substance is engineers die to highlight sctibe lines, poor light/ shadows make it difficult to cut acurately to a scribed line

Image[url]

The lower door frame is a "Z"shaped piece that is curved in "X" axis and "Y" axis, it is cut with the curve in it and tipped in the English wheel

[url]Image
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

VIEW MY WEBSITE- http://www.lonestarbodyshop.com.au

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

lone*star wrote:Brett,

Not sure if the owner intends to show this car, I think he just wants something to be proud of, he recently said that the original picture in his head included spray on "ChickenShit" in the cargo bed area, probably thought that was as good as it gets...I think the pivotal moment for the owner was the Ford logo or the aircraft detail in the rear support structure, I guess I just treat this car as if it was my own, and make the choices and balance cost against return on his behalf.
The last time he visited, he asked if there were any questions I needed to ask...No... I asked if he had any questions he needed to ask...No...It just works...there is some significance to the choice of year and body style
Certainly sounds like a great project for the both of you.... 8) ....and no ChickenShit required :lol: :lol:
Brett Carroll
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Hey Stuart, couldn't you have just got some chicken shit from next door, and saved all the time and effort. :lol: Sorry, da debil made me say it.
Seriously, great pics, great post, great work.
P.S. Get "fireman steve" to smile in the foters!!
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

woody28A wrote:Hey Stuart, couldn't you have just got some chicken shit from next door, and saved all the time and effort. :lol: Sorry, da debil made me say it.
Seriously, great pics, great post, great work.
P.S. Get "fireman steve" to smile in the foters!!
Tony, You should know the intensity of concentration required for this, we hardly can remember to breathe...we are certainly smiling on the inside.

35coupe wrote:
lone*star wrote:Brett,

The last time he visited, he asked if there were any questions I needed to ask...No... I asked if he had any questions he needed to ask...No...It just works...there is some significance to the choice of year and body style
Certainly sounds like a great project for the both of you.... 8) ....and no ChickenShit required :lol: :lol:
Brett, This has been a rewarding project, it is a pleasure to work with the owner on this...
Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

It's easy to make simple look complex but it's difficult to make complex look simple
lone*star

Post by lone*star »

turns wrote:Hey Stuart

I suggested that the 1936 Coupe Ute was a good place to start the thread.............what's next???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am biased but how about your Model A hotrod??

What you started with was pretty far gone and it ended up at Motorex :shock: :?

Here is a build picture of the removal floor for M/C access etc

It would make a pretty lengthy post but certainly topical :wink:

Cheers Turns
Turns, I will get a sequence of photos to post, the folders are somewhat fragmented...Tomorrow perhaps...

Stuart Smith
Sheetmetal Whisperer

It just works...

turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I will kick it off :wink:

Firstly, it should be said that Stuart's Model A peeled my eyelids back long before I met him.

It is easy to get lost in detail.........the louvered aluminium hood, the all metal interior, the stainless F & R push bars, the louvered valance panels, the removable floor or perhaps the helicopter latches on the tailgate :shock: :shock: and on it goes

Even then, the car is subtle.

Ironically, I am writing a build thread on it and I am yet to fully suss the car out as thoroughly as I would like :evil: :roll: :cry:

The car came from a farm near Yass NSW

The car started life as a tourer and was modified into a buck board ute during the war. I believe during the war commercial vehicles were granted a higher ammount of fuel rations. The strip down begins - firstly the tourer panels that were sold on

Once the car was stripped the chassis was loaded up on the table

The motor and cowl were postioned for mock up. Front suspension is four bar with a dropped beam axle

Radiator was trialled

Sneak peak at engine. Motor is Ford Windsor 302

Rear of the chassis was stepped - four inches I think

F & R suspension set up

K member, and rear cross member - note sway bar set up 8)

Rear suspension and Ford 9 inch diff set up

The body is starting to be pieced together on the chassis

15 inch wires look cool

I think that's a good start for a school night :?

I hope you like

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

BTW Stuart and Steve

The 36 coupe ute doors are pure filth - really nice job :D
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
michael037

Post by michael037 »

Stuart
On page 1 there was a picture of the ute cab in black. It was mentioned that the cab had been grit blasted and a coat of epoxy put on. Do you treat the metal at all before the epoxy is applied, and if so what do you use and further, what brand and type of epoxy do you use. The reason for the questions is that we have recently done a basic basic paint course at tech and the teacher told us how to do it, and last night we were back in the panel shop, and this teacher disagreed and told us a totally different method. Your method obviously works, so that is why I am asking here.
Thanks
Michael
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Another great update. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
42inter

Post by 42inter »

I probably don't need to say AWESOME!
keep it comming guys, it's greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Scotty.
It is true you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
.......... However most days I try to take a pigs arse and turn it into a hand crafted leather wallet!