floor shift to lc torana

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
gazza1

floor shift to lc torana

Post by gazza1 »

hi all need some help.i have an lc torana 202 trimatic that want to install a Gemini floor shift to.have looked under car and with the colum shift the lever out of the trans lays flat along the trans. to install the floor shift I think I need to stand the lever upright to be able to connect the shift rod. am I correct and if so how do I stand the trans lever upright or do you have other ideas.any help /ideas much appreciated thank you Gary
gazza
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: floor shift to lc torana

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Gazza . . Remove the existing lever and replace it with one from a Commodore or floor shift Kingswood . It is only positioned where it is due to the rectangular hole that seats it on the selector shaft .
You should not have many probs with getting hold of one , the Trimatic lever fits on a T350 and I would hazard a good guess that a lever from Later Commodores T700 4L60 will bolt up also . You may have to drill a new hole for the shifter rod when using the latter units as their shifters may have a different throw due to an extra detent position .
The transmissions have the shaft section with the flats close to front/rear vertical . In other words the lever has the rectangular slot running close to length wise to allow it to fit vertical. Your existing lever I imagine has the slot close to crosswise .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
gazza1

Post by gazza1 »

hi frank thanks a lot for the info will go find one . gary
gazza
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

No worries Garry. Remove the existing lever and eyeball it to make life easier.

Frank.

OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31