What a Drongo I am!

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
32V8

What a Drongo I am!

Post by 32V8 »

I placed an ad in the Cruzin mag for my 33 Ford Pickup and supplied them an incorrect phone number.
No wonder there have been no calls.
So if you, or anyone you know has rang the number please replace the last digit with a 1 (instead of 2)
The number in the ad is not connected.
Thanks.
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Re: What a Drongo I am!

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Nice pickup! Bit of a waste of the ad as 2nd month :(
smee

Post by smee »

Put the right # on here Shorty!
32V8

Post by 32V8 »

MickD

Post by MickD »

"Drongo". Geez..... I haven't heard that term in a long time. Nice to know there's still a few of us out there that can still speak the ol' strine. Just for that we'll forgive you ol' fella for your blue :)
I remember my dad still referred to blokes in his company during the war years as " the chaps". This "chap", that "chap" ... That's a term we tend to associate with poms nowdays, isn't it. And my old man was a ridgy didge, true blue Aussie. If you told your grandkids someone was a drongo they'd wonder what the bloody hell you were talking about "wooden" they ?
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

32 V8, I am sure if we were all to be honest with ourselves we have all been a bit of a drongo in our lives at one time or another. :shock:

I have developed it into an are form. :roll: :roll: :roll:

So you are certainly not Robinson Crusoe. :mrgreen:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

MickD wrote:"Drongo". Geez..... I haven't heard that term in a long time. Nice to know there's still a few of us out there that can still speak the ol' strine. Just for that we'll forgive you ol' fella for your blue :)
I remember my dad still referred to blokes in his company during the war years as " the chaps". This "chap", that "chap" ... That's a term we tend to associate with poms nowdays, isn't it. And my old man was a ridgy didge, true blue Aussie. If you told your grandkids someone was a drongo they'd wonder what the bloody hell you were talking about "wooden" they ?

Ha! Drongo.
I haven't heard that term in a long while. Our language is subject to so many influences now, have you tried to understand what the young'uns are saying these days ? They have invented a whole new vocabulary. Like the Cockneys in London, I suspect it's a way of keeping oldies out of the loop !
I still use the word chaps but it often draws a bemused look. Also "brasco" for the Loo. Try using rhyming slang, that'll fool 'em. (Incidentally Chaps was once a Cockney term for fellows who played for the other side :roll: :wink: but I digress ).
The best source of old language is interviews with WW2 vets from back in the time. They often described people as "types" which is so out of context in todays' world. Everything changes.
Meanwhile keep using " Drongo" 32V8, we gotta keep real English alive - and there's plenty of excuses for that word !
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

When I was a young soldier apprentice at Balcombe in 1970, the term "grouse " was in vogue and I have only used it a couple of times lately and to great giggles and pointing as apparently they were laughing at me not with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When it comes to language I am of the same opinion nailhead bucket, as I am of a more mature age than my girl (by about 20 years) I said the other day when she encroached into the shed even though I was working on her EH wagon and after asking if she wanted a cuppa she said yep I will have a tea thanks after a couple of minutes she said where is that cuppa I replied the tea is drawing love to which she answered with the phrase are you turning into a Nanna? my Nan doesn't even use that term....go figure it is just an older term for getting a cup of tea right. :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

The meaning and root of the term "Drongo"

Insult[edit]
The word drongo is used in Australian and New Zealand English as a mild form of insult meaning "idiot" or "stupid fellow". This usage derives from an Australian racehorse of the same name (apparently after the spangled drongo (a bird), Dicrurus bracteatus) in the 1920s that never won despite many starts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

I went to the motor registry to get a quote on custom plates for the Spinner coupe and asked for "HIP 51".
The girl said what does that mean ? I told her Hip in the fifties was the same as Fab in the sixties. She thought I was pulling her leg :roll: .
I didn't bother her with a quote for " Hep Hep".
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
MickD

Post by MickD »

A couple of years ago I told a customer, a woman in her 40's, that I used to work for the PMG. She'd never heard of it ! Am I gettin' old ?.. :( :( :( :!:
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:I went to the motor registry to get a quote on custom plates for the Spinner coupe and asked for "HIP 51".
The girl said what does that mean ? I told her Hip in the fifties was the same as Fab in the sixties. She thought I was pulling her leg :roll: .
I didn't bother her with a quote for " Hep Hep".
Wonder if she'd give me FOOLY SIK ???
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

My mum used the term "draw" with reference to tea . Back then it was a tea pot and tea leaves . I guess the term derives from the standing time taken to draw enough goodness from the leaves in the hot water before pouring . Another old habit was swinging the billy back and forth before consumption . Nowadays you just dunk a tea bag full of tea dust in a cup .
"Drongo" has been around for ages ,used as a term to describe an idiot .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31