48 Ford running boards

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
28rp

48 Ford running boards

Post by 28rp »

I am about to start on some rust repairs on the R/Boards and sills on my old sedan and have been told I may have to lift the body a tad on the bolts to get them off-it looks like they should come off without doing so, but there may be something I ca n,t see preventing them from being removed easily Can any body tell me one way or another?

Thanks

Ash
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: 48 Ford running boards

Post by Oldcol »

The boards are mounted to the body box section sills and you'll find the biggest drama will be undoing the bolts ....sills fill up with dirt and moisture and usually rust the end of the bolts and cage nuts together (and usually rust the lower section of the sills as well).Getting the boards off once that issue is dealt with is pretty easy,simply remove the forward body mount crossmember where it's bolted onto the frame rails and do the same to the mid-side crossmember that has the body mount on it....with them off and all the bolts out the boards drop down and off.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Thanks Col-what you said was kinda what I thought would have to be done and, yep, I have to do the sills and cage nuts-on the driver, s side at least.
Thanks for your input.
Much appreciated

Ash
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

See you at Deloraine Ash?

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Hi Dave-no, wo n,t be at Deloraine-had a few set backs lately , so need to save some $$$$,so have to give it a miss this year :(