Steering; intermediate shaft angle

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
pmd400

Steering; intermediate shaft angle

Post by pmd400 »

I’m fitting a jaguar front suspension and steering into a 1962 Rover P5. The issue I have is the angle of the intermediate shaft. The angle at the pinion end of the shaft is around 45 degrees which is too much for the stock jag universal joint. The rover steering column intersects with the intermediate shaft at about 60 degrees. I know that you can get double universal joints that work up to 70 degrees but the jag universal at the pinion end allows for any movement that might occur in the rubber mounted crossmember and steering rack. Is there an easy solution to my problem?
Thanks, Josh
pmd400

Re: Steering; intermediate shaft angle

Post by pmd400 »

6F9436B9-4FBB-4454-BDB8-261531074912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Is it possible to roll the rack anti-clockwise so the input shaft is higher?

If the input shaft of the rack was raised the acute angle would be cut by being shard between the two joints.

I think it would reduce the angle on the bottom joint by a reasonable amount and improve the top joint by a lot.

I wonder it a similar Jag bottom joint would work at the top.

One problem is you can't weld the shaft by the rules.

I would be comfortable to weld a practice shaft to see it it worked, then have one made by a machine shop.

Another option is to look into lowering theernd of the column where it exits the firewall?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
pmd400

Post by pmd400 »

It is possible to rotate the rack so the pinion is higher. It means having to modify the mounts which I want to avoid. There is also an engine oil filter in that location which could become a problem if the pinion is higher. What about using a short column that ends inside the car, ie does not reach the firewall. then using 2 intermediate shafts with support bearings passing through the firewall at a more favourable location?
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

To me that sounds the best move.

I was trying to avoid the intermediate bearing.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

You could use one of these with a double joint on the rack https://www.borgeson.com/Shafts-and-Sup ... Shaft.html I have used it on a Jag front end in the past and it worked fine. It is 24 or 36 inches long depending on which model you buy and can be shortened up to 10 inches.

Some models of Chrysler products used a similar shaft but it is likely too short for your application.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
pmd400

Post by pmd400 »

That is worth considering. I guess it depends if an engineer will accept it. I've read VSB 14 and it seems like steering and suspension components are best left as unmodified pieces that were found on production vehicles. I would need to use a double universal at each end of the intermediate shaft.
45 degree angle between pinion and intermediate shaft
60 degrees between column and intermediate shaft
Is this possible or will the intermediate shaft require a support bearing?
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Can you lower the column at the firewall end?
Regards Bob
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Regards Bob
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Another tip for hooking up an intermediate shaft to a rubber mounted Jag F/e. Early 2000,s Ford Courier/ Mazda Bravo. Use a splined telescopic shaft that is a great substitute for the ugly Jag unit. The beauty is that it is forgiving by being telescopic when you consider the distance between the column and rack pinion.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31