small block chev in a roadster

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
stevep

small block chev in a roadster

Post by stevep »

Gday guys I'm soon gonna have to bite the bullet and decide on a engine for my roadster project. Glass 27 T on A chassis. I'm leaning toward chev 283-350 depending on availablity. What would you recommend as a good unit to motovate my ride? Also - I reckon I dont need to build the engine for torque as I dont need much to get this lightweight car going - is that right? Whatsa good rear end gear ratio etc to go for?

Thanks

Steve
Pep
Old Hand

Re: small block chev in a roadster

Post by Pep »

stevep wrote:Gday guys I'm soon gonna have to bite the bullet and decide on a engine for my roadster project. Glass 27 T on A chassis. I'm leaning toward chev 283-350 depending on availablity. What would you recommend as a good unit to motovate my ride? Also - I reckon I dont need to build the engine for torque as I dont need much to get this lightweight car going - is that right? Whatsa good rear end gear ratio etc to go for?

Thanks

Steve

Man, thats an open ended question there buddy....no real answer on the engine....I'd stick a Ford in it but hey that's my bias but I'd have to admit the Chev would be easier to fit in there. As far as torque....bog stock in a light car like this....no worries. Diff?...3:1 with 27" tall tyres..a good compromise.....before anything else, get an engineer on side to see if you have any obsticles in getting the "A" passed with a V8.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

I reckon that there's a lot more choice these days, but the old SBC has such a foothold it's hard to go past. Myself, I would never use one, mainly because there are so many other options available. One thing's for sure - no engine manufacturer has built an engine with carbs for ten years or more. Chevs haven't come with a carb since 1985.
Take a look at the Toyota Quad Cam V8 - you can get front cuts for under $3,000. How about the 5L EEC 4 and 5 Ford, or the new DOHC Fords that can be bought as crate motors for under $US6,000. Not to mention the Commodore EFI V8.
Ford engines are longer and narrower that the SBC or Mopar small block (which have similar dimensions) and take a bit more thought when fitting them.
If you are going to go for the SBC, at least go with the TPI. Leave the carbs and points for the restorers. If you want the Hot Rod look, there's plenty of FI options there, too. Which means instant response, smooth acceleration and effortless muscle all the way from idle to WOT, not to mention the environmental, crap fuel and rego problems solved as well.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
stevep

more info

Post by stevep »

Yeah I reread that post and its a bit vague!. OK I DO want a multi carb V8 for the look I m after. Can I get a multi intake for Ford 302/351? I know I can for SBC. Dont want 253/308 (sorry Holden guys!) What about a Chrys 318/340? Ive got a 42 Merc falthed in the garage but rebuild costs are HIGH. This 'll be as lo-buck hi boy and traditional as possible styled car - not period perfect - I need to run Discs for rego reasons. But I want to build in the style of a early 50's rod. Im running split wishbones and ladder bars but with a late model diff and coilovers. up front I want to run a spring perch suicide style instead of the A c'member to get the stock I beam axle a little lower. Im new to all this and will have to farm out welding other than boxing the chassis. What guage steel should I use for K member?

Yeah a million questions - sorry. Anyone got a project like this on the go in the Brisbane area I can have a look at and a yarn about?

Steve
Pep
Old Hand

Re: more info

Post by Pep »

stevep wrote:Yeah I reread that post and its a bit vague!. OK I DO want a multi carb V8 for the look I m after. Can I get a multi intake for Ford 302/351? I know I can for SBC. Dont want 253/308 (sorry Holden guys!) What about a Chrys 318/340? Ive got a 42 Merc falthed in the garage but rebuild costs are HIGH. This 'll be as lo-buck hi boy and traditional as possible styled car - not period perfect - I need to run Discs for rego reasons. But I want to build in the style of a early 50's rod. Im running split wishbones and ladder bars but with a late model diff and coilovers. up front I want to run a spring perch suicide style instead of the A c'member to get the stock I beam axle a little lower. Im new to all this and will have to farm out welding other than boxing the chassis. What guage steel should I use for K member?

Yeah a million questions - sorry. Anyone got a project like this on the go in the Brisbane area I can have a look at and a yarn about?

Steve

OK...you can get multi carb manifolds for all the above..call Diablo Motors on 02 97591328, they are probably the biggest supplier for weird carb set up. The K member can be of the same guage as the rails.... around 3mm. I suggest you get a book by Tex Smith on chassis building. ASR has it on their list. You can also get good bargains in the papers ( trading post and ASR, Cruizin ads etc ) on chassis already done. In hind site I should have done that with the 37. I spent way too much time boxing and repairing it. For $500 I could have got one already done....still, if you want the experience, then by all means go for it.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!