Victorian Hot Rod Show

Go here for info and posts on all the latest shows, runs and cruises
HRI

Victorian Hot Rod Show

Post by HRI »

I've just posted some photos from the move-in night. There a bit dark as my old digital is just not up to it. But you'll get the idea. Plan to go in again on Sunday and take some more shots.

Still got comments to add to the thumbnails, too.

http://www.geocities.com/vhrs2003/
TJ

Post by TJ »

Hey greg some nice pics there you know the raffle car me and dad had to transport it down to the show from albury we picked it up from Col manglesdorf nice car huh??? if you could can u get some pics for me Flamed 36 from all state towing is taking it back i had a bit of fun who ever wins it should be happy :o :o :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: i know i would...
TJ

http://www.kikrshotrods.piczo.com
SeanHammond

Post by SeanHammond »

Very good show indeed.... Quite a few new cars as well as the cars ya never see are on display. My personal favourites would have to be The Black '40 model Ford coupe that was recently completed by Kelvin Waddington, Mike Cowie's 34 Roadster Benny gatts "scrape" and the black FJ Holden built by Southern rod and custom. Did anyone see the current model dunnydore ute that is parked far left near the front entrance? 24" rear wheels! It had big diameter wheels at the front that looked tiny compared to the rear. I think anythin' over 18-19" is a bit too overkill. Final Objective was really well presented and Rod signing posters all day. All in all, a good day and i thought was better than last years car-wise.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Good stuff Greg,
I was feeling a bit dissapointed about the quality of shots from the digital camera I borrowed but it appears they are pretty much normal. It's a big dollar 4 megapixel deal but all the pics seem to be too dark and fuzzy. I'll be back today or tomorrow with my 'real' camera and some 'real' film. 8)

Top quality show with good cars and layout.

Interesting thinking of the comments on other threads, to see Rod at the show flogging posters for five bux each. Knowing what it costs to produce such items he aint gunna get rich or cover much of the cost of the car from that little exercise.

Ben's version of Terry Cook's Scrape is very slick and much better detailed under the hood and under the car compared to the original.

The ASRF Raffle car is pretty nice too and I even bought a ticket.

Club stands are excellent and right up there with the quality back in the old days when to have the best club stand was a big deal. Gunna be a tough call for the jusdges on that one.

Interesting also that the mix of vehicles is so good and includes pretty much everything including a bunch of Vans, seems the van movement didn't really die afterall.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
HRI

Bay Rodders take home the booty

Post by HRI »

Found out tonight that Bay Rodders (my club) got second club display. Plus Kevin Kendall picked up Top 4 dr Sedan with his 34 Ford, Allan Newton got 3rd Tudor in his 31 A400, Bill Duyvestyn and his 56 Chev got 2nd Custom and Ronnie Mills got 2nd Pickup with the 56 F100. 7 cars on display and 4 trophies. I'm very proud.

This is a fantastic result for the club and the guys who made the effort. Well done to Ed Narkiewicz, Andrew Hall, Lou Selmo and Shane Duyvestyn for providing your cars. I'd also like to mention those others who helped out; Ian, Michael, Cheryl, Chris and especially Mark who should have had his freshly rebuilt 36 Ford Coupe in the show.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Good effort guys, congratulations.

In light of the 'Haddy Chev' thread elswhere on the page I think it's timely to note that the car did not feature in any of the awards even though it would clearly have taken more than one or two.

It was displayed as a drawcard and not judged.

And I would suggest it certainly did the job and got a lot of people who might not have otherwise bothered, to visit the show and learn about our hobby.

Interesting too is that Rod has been with the car every minute of the show signing his posters. And knowing what it costs to produce a four colour poster, I'm pretty confident he's not making motza from them. For five bux the kids get an autographed poster and copy of Cruzin magazine so they can learn all about the car. Of course for those who think five bux is too much, you can buy the plain black on red hot rod show poster for twenty bux.

Hey Greg, do you have a copy of the awards list that you can post, I'm sure the guys would like to know who got what. I'm sure it would prompt some interesting discussion if nothing else.

:lol:
Young Carps

HRI

VHRS2003 Results

Post by HRI »

Well just got home from packup at the show. It was a beautiful night for a cruise, so we took the long way .....

Have posted the results at http://www.geocities.com/vhrs2003/hotrodshow08.html

Big winnah was Laurie Grima with his orange 56 Chev from NSW.

7 trophies; Top Car, Top Custom, Best Undercarriage, Best Engine, Best Displayed, Best Standard Paint, Custom-Radical Custom.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Hey Greg, ya shoulda hung round to see all the '55 Chevies crusing the parking lot.

That Orange Chevy is soo well done. Thoroughly deserved the awards and strangely, like the other high profile '55 Chevy at the show, it was driven out of the building and, with about then thousand people inside it. Guess he bought the family down for the weekend.

I am however, curious how come Grima's Chev won top radical custom when some of those vans altough not as well detailed had a whole lot more custom work. Ida thought a stock bodied car like that one would have been classified as a Custom Clasic. As I recall the old ASRF rulebook, to be classified as a radical custom required some serious body work such a top chop or section job.

I'm not bitching here, just curious. Maybe Choco or someone else can clarify the latest rules.
Young Carps

HRI

Radical Custom

Post by HRI »

Maybe hangin a '55 front clip onto a '56 body qualifies?
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Nah, it's a bolt on. :lol:
Young Carps

cros

Custom Classic / Radical custom

Post by cros »

Hey Greg what for you getting all excited about them there late model Chev's for. Early models Rule OK !!!!

I'm not as up to date as I used to be guys', but from my memory the P/Vans unless they were pre'65 don't fall into the Custom Class of an ASRF title show. They would probably have been in a Street Machine type catigory.

The '55 Chev you were typing about, being put into Radical Custom would have been a result of the Chief National Steward putting forward an increase in the pionts allowable for Custom Type vehicles, 130 pionts now I believe. This change was (I believe) a result of some of the States DC's not leaving the class alone. Many believe that the pionts system as it was was OK and would accomidate the chassisless customs quite OK.

But like some things in life, someone had to change things, even if it didn't need changing. The only thing (I believe) that needed scraping was the CHASSIS and of AMERICAN ORIGAN requirement. We are Australian last time I checked!!!!

In the old days stewards used to start the pionts allowcation for a bit of custom work halfway,now they are going to allowcate full pionts from the outset. No halfway. This is the only way that the stewards feel they can work with the new pionts system put forward at the last NCC, and maintain some sence of looking after the members who have already been classified pre system change.

For a full interpritation of the pionts system try getting some sence out of the Chief National Steward, he is listed in the ASRF Newsletter. Have fun!!
cros

Post by Guest »

At Kustoms of Australia, we don't really care where the original was built or if it came with a separate chassis. :roll:

And the 'judges' at KOA events know the difference between a street machine and a kustom. :D :roll: :lol: