Oil injection with LPG

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
jdaley

Oil injection with LPG

Post by jdaley »

I have a fleet of vehicles, all on gas. I have heaps of trouble over the years and our local mechanic blames the gas. I noticed a oil injection/ suction system on a Holden 1 Tonner we are looking to purchase, does anybody know whether the mechanic may be correct and anything about the oiling systems available? Thanks
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
Mr Cool
Old Hand

Post by Mr Cool »

my dad runs an oil system on his val with lpg, he reckons its the bee's knee's.
Another one i have seen done is actually an old water injection system, y'know, the ones that we used to put on our engines to stop pinging? it was adjusted so that it would feed about 1/4 litre of oil to every tank of gas.
But the best way to get your vehicle running right on lpg is have the distributor re-curved properly, that solves most problems as lpg burns at a different rate than petrol, and the dizzy needs to advance at a different rate to compensate.
hope this helps
Regards
Chris Stork.
Founding Member of Oz E Rodders Rod and Kustom Club.
Pep
Old Hand

Re: Oil injection with LPG

Post by Pep »

jdaley wrote:I have a fleet of vehicles, all on gas. I have heaps of trouble over the years and our local mechanic blames the gas. I noticed a oil injection/ suction system on a Holden 1 Tonner we are looking to purchase, does anybody know whether the mechanic may be correct and anything about the oiling systems available? Thanks
I gather you mean valve protection. There is a system set up for just the thing.Its called Flash Lube. Its about $20 a litre and it plumbs direct into the intake manifold via a small regulator valve which can be adjusted to vary the delivery. The ratio is about 40ml / 40 litres so it lasts a while. Once you have the installation kit ( which is also cheap )you just buy the regular flash lube to top it up. There's other stuff around that does the same job. I use Valve Shield by Penrite but I've been told its no longer on the market...don't know why. The other option is getting the heads recoed with hardened valve seats. If you run gas or unleaded on an soft seated head without flash lube or similar, the valves will eventually pound themselves into the seat. I've seen the result and its amazing how far they sink into the seats.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
jdaley

lpg oiling

Post by jdaley »

We have hardened seats but the engines sem to run much hotter. Does anybody know where flach lube is distributed from ?
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
Pep
Old Hand

Re: lpg oiling

Post by Pep »

jdaley wrote:We have hardened seats but the engines sem to run much hotter. Does anybody know where flach lube is distributed from ?
John...LPG does make the car run hotter. Thats the draw back with it. The cooling system has to be up to the task. If you want Flash Lube...I've seen it all over the place. Auto 1 for sure...Robbos..probably..
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
Mr Cool
Old Hand

Post by Mr Cool »

And if flash lube doesnt solve the overheating problem, get the dizzy re-curved.
Incorrect timing can also make the engine run hotter.
Spoke to the old man last night, and his system is also flash lube.
I mentioned this to a friend of mine in the lpg industry, and he said he's seen a couple of systems from 2-stroke motorcycles used as a lube system. Just get a 2-stroke oil injection system and fit it to your car, pick them up from m/bike wreckers.
A system like flashlube is obviously designed for this purpose and is obviously a better system, but these are just some alternatives if you have stuff sittin round.
Regards
Chris Stork.
Founding Member of Oz E Rodders Rod and Kustom Club.
jdaley

Post by jdaley »

just keepimh you posted the Flash Lube kit costs about $75 and Bursons had them in Melbourne.
wchappo

oil injection

Post by wchappo »

As LPG is a slower burning fuel similar to running alcohol,it requires more advance,therefore the flame is exposed to the cylinder walls for longer thereby causing more heat, I used to always tell customers when i fitted gas that they may like to fit a larger radiator to cope with the extra heat as usual they became tight arsed and elected not to fit one,most were back within a couple of months complaining,usually cab owners like my father-in-law( he's still a tight arse),the valve saver i've always believed is a matter of if you think it works it must (similar to the doctor telling you take 2 aspros and come back if it doesn't work) Wayne