So who else went to the Springsteen concert?

Go here for info and posts on all the latest shows, runs and cruises
Brootal
Old Hand

So who else went to the Springsteen concert?

Post by Brootal »

A little off topic maybe, but when the guy sings about "Hot Steppin' Hemi with a four on the floor" and "Road Runner engine in a '32 Ford", I figure he's alright. :)

So did anyone else go along? What did you think?

Me personally, it fulfilled a (almost) lifelong dream. It was everything I imagined it would be and then some.

Broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce!
It's OK, I'm not really from Sydney, I just moved there, but now I'm back in Perth so I'm normal again.

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]Ramblers, Hot Rods, Surfing and Model Cars[/url]
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

All my suspicions have just been confirmed, and your marriage to Sue is a front! Hand in your testicles - you don't deserve them!
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
Brootal
Old Hand

Post by Brootal »

Sorry mate. Bruce is a ROCK GOD and if he isn't, he's got a direct line to the big Boss. :D

You gotta remember, I grew up in the 80's, not the 30's like you did Choco! :P
It's OK, I'm not really from Sydney, I just moved there, but now I'm back in Perth so I'm normal again.

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]Ramblers, Hot Rods, Surfing and Model Cars[/url]
HRI

Bruce

Post by HRI »

I didn't go, but one of my mates from work did. Thursday night I think.

His wife asked the classic Bruce Springsteen concert question.....

Why are all these people booing him?

You had to be there, I suppose.

Geoff said the concert was great, started off with acoustic guitar by himself, second song was "War what is it good for", went for nearly 3 hours.
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Cheeky bastard!
So what have you got against Black Sabbath, Country Joe and the Fish or Cream? And don't tell me who the Rock God is, because everyone knows it's Lobby Lloyd, and he has a direct line to the anti-christ, Billy Thorpe!
Springsteen doesn't even rate!
Now, do you feel better, knowing I have put you back on the straight and narrow?
Have you got that roadster body yet?
Brootal
Old Hand

Post by Brootal »

Yep, there were a few people there confusing the "Brooooooooooooooce" with a boo, including a friend of mine. He did manage to figure it out on his own though.

The power did go out, or at least the sound system did. Story apparently is, the generators shat themselves. Springsteen reckons it was due to excessive mobile phone and hair dryer use.

Thanks for the education Choco, but I think I will have hand in the rest of my "manhood". I just booked tickets to the Wednesday night concert... in Brisbane!!!

Lobby Lloyd??? Is he related to Nobby Nnoyd??? Never heard of him, but then, I'm a good god-fearing citizen. :roll:

Carps and I went and had a look at the roadster body and I'm pretty keen on it. I may wait to see what is up for offer at the Nats though... but then I don't want to leave it too late.

You know what will happen, if I don't get the roadster body, there won't be anything at the Nats, if I do get it, I'll see something I really like. What should I do???

By the way, EVERYONE know Springsteen is THE BOSS!

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Unlike you Mr Brootal No Nuts, Lobby Lloyd had coloured balls!

Choco, your dress sense and haircut may suck, but you have exemplary tase in music and musicians!

However, the all time best guitar slinger remains one Stevie Ray Vaughan esq, late of Austin Texas. A man without peer when it came to making the Fender Strat weep, or howl and he was also pretty handy with a Gibson.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Carps wrote:However, the all time best guitar slinger remains one Stevie Ray Vaughan esq, late of Austin Texas. A man without peer when it came to making the Fender Strat weep, or howl and he was also pretty handy with a Gibson.
Hmmmm. Almost true. SRV was, indeed, one of the greats, but when it comes to the blues, it's Hound Dog Taylor, Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker, all of whom are now in Hell, keeping things warm for me. When it comes to git-tars, the simpler the better. If it sounds as if they have their fingers caught in the strings, it's good.
Springsteen?
phhhhttt!
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Carps wrote:Unlike you Mr Brootal No Nuts, Lobby Lloyd had coloured balls!

Choco, your dress sense and haircut may suck, but you have exemplary tase in music and musicians!

However, the all time best guitar slinger remains one Stevie Ray Vaughan esq, late of Austin Texas. A man without peer when it came to making the Fender Strat weep, or howl and he was also pretty handy with a Gibson.
Although I don't totally disagree with you about SRV ( who I had the pleasure of meeting in person when he played here in the early 80s ) there is another strat slinger called Rory Gallagher ( also sadly deceased )a diffent style of Irish rock/blues...get hold of Top Priority, Calling Card and hear him rip off some spine tinglin licks with Bullfrog Blues, Missisippi Shieks, Shin Kicker...His concerts where probably the most exciting for me...the most aggressive R&R/Blues I've ever heard. SRV was not as dynamic on stage butshite he could play that old strat...a real nice guy as well..even let me pick up his old strat and play it.....I don't know how he could play it. The strings were that heavy a guage I just about tore the skin off my fingers.....BTW..Lobby Lloyd.!!!.. Choco, you are certainly a child of the musically impared :lol:
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
SeanHammond

Post by SeanHammond »

do any of you blokes dig good old rockabilly? Even though most it is recent stuff it still sounds kewl. There are heaps of really good bands comin from "other" countries like Sweden. Darrel Higham from england sounds like eddie cochran and plays an awsome Gretsch hollowbody guitar.
Now that REAL music :wink: not this brooooce springsteen crap :P
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

SeanHammond wrote:do any of you blokes dig good old rockabilly? Even though most it is recent stuff it still sounds kewl. There are heaps of really good bands comin from "other" countries like Sweden. Darrel Higham from england sounds like eddie cochran and plays an awsome Gretsch hollowbody guitar.
Now that REAL music :wink: not this brooooce springsteen crap :P
Matter of fact, I have it playing on my PC right now...A rockabilly site in Russia of all places. When you connect it starts playing rockabilly...I have been going to rockabilly venues now for the past 6 months since I learnt how to dance. Great music...we have a connection with the bass player in The Creepers...he and his wife both got taught to dance by the same teacher so now there's a group of us that dance together....hot rods and rockabilly just go together nicely :)
check out this site
http://www.rockabilly.ru/
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
SeanHammond

Post by SeanHammond »

There's nothin' like listenin to good rockabilly and lookin at hot rods. That site you recomended pep is really good. It has continuous music, from some oddball stuff to the stray cats. Hopefully they'll have some music at the Nats this year instead of the Drive-in they had at night last time.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

When I was 12 years old, I wore black jeans, studded belt, T shirt, ripple soled shoes and had hair that dripped with californian poppy. The only difference now that I'm 48 is that I don't have hair and I'm down to the last 2 pairs of ripples left in the world. I've always loved Rockabilly music and rock n roll, but since it became the scenesters thing, I sort of got out of it. Rockabilly is just white kids blues, and me and the missus spent hours on the dance floor but, like I said, the scenesters really spoiled it. Still go to the odd dance, and look forward to the next time we head to Wintersun, but content to just listen to the music. Have all the Wes Pudsey stuff, Atomic Creepers, Sonic Aces, even have the original 45 from the first Tennessee Thunder. Rockbottom James, Bridgette Handley, Satellites, Rev Horton Heat, the original Tomahawks, Starliners (love "Cadillac in Model A") I got 'em all.
SeanHammond

Post by SeanHammond »

Hey choco, How many Albums did Wes Pudsey and the sonic aces bring out? They had the two singles and an album, which i have but i heard that they brought an another album before they split. Got most of the starliners but their latest release which was a while ago is a bit too country/western swingish. I feel disapointed that all these new bands/groups that are churning out realy good music, but dont get any airtime on the radio, while some rapper who has no sense of rhythm can get so far.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Yeah, Sean, I agree.
Wes and the Sonic Aces did "My Baby Looks Like Betty Page" and then "My Baby Rocks Like Betty Page". When he lined up with Slappin' Dean, Flash and Mick (Atomic Creepers) they did the Atomic Creepers album, including String of Pearls.
The Starliners are all guys from different bands, as lots of other rockabilly bands are. They don't get the airtime because the market's too small, the closest it got was with the Fireballs but they were more of a psychobilly band.