1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
zacs56

Post by zacs56 »

Carps wrote:
Harko wrote:Image

I can distinctly remember this car as a kid riding my skateboard around Natex and then later it was in street rodder magazine labeled "The Mexican"
For many years it was in Bendigo, owned by John Rainbow. Not sure where it is now.
Was sold to Darren Magreggor who lives in Bendigo he also has the x Neil Talbert 4 door stock 34 sedan and a stock 32 / 4 door Canadian sedan .
I have told people on this site before when Darren pulled the coupe down for paint , he found it had no metal r/ h side rear quarter , as it was bird wire and bog .
As Darren is my or was my step brother in law .
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

So, here's what it looked like after Darren McGregor rebuilt it and it was still living with him in Bendigo.

And here's what it looks like today, with a new owner who lives near Mick in Geelong.

Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

How it looked in the 1960s....

How it looks today.....

Before.........

After.............

Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Harko

Post by Harko »

Looks trick now :)
You're puttin on the agony mike but your missin all the style
'26bits

Post by '26bits »

Here are some extracts from a magazine I never new existed..... :shock: must've had my head in the sand (or some other dark place :wink: )

............ it was edited by Dave Cook and reading the content it looks like late 1972 was the year........

......... interesting, Gary Hudson's younger brother Jim gets a mention here........

....more on Dave Gardener's Phaeton.........

........ Dave Heart......

......... Sydney show........

........ and a pic of a winner........
Gravity is overated. The earth Sux.

Oz-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club
Member#80
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

.....nuthin' to see here.....just more boring old Vic stuff...... :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

Top stuff Col I have a number of those issues and some Rodders Digest as well, I would post them but i cant use the scanner and I dont know how to transfer them to the ozrodders site. I am computer dumb. :oops: I also have a set of Australian Autosportsman that cover a large amount of the action that took place at Riverside Raceway as well. I have to wait for my daughter to put these things up for me.
There is so much history of Hot Rodding around but it is not centered in any one place and that is a problem. We need some where or some body to record all of our stories and correlate al of our magazines to make our History somehow complete. All of my generation are well into there '60s or early 70's and wont be around for ever to tell how it was.
Eddie Thomas is over 90 and he has great recall of his life he should be honoured by the sport with a story on his life particularly his pioneering of the making of Speed Equiptment.
'26bits

Post by '26bits »

Bob Honeybrook wrote:Top stuff Col I have a number of those issues and some Rodders Digest as well, I would post them but i cant use the scanner and I dont know how to transfer them to the ozrodders site. I am computer dumb. :oops: I also have a set of Australian Autosportsman that cover a large amount of the action that took place at Riverside Raceway as well. I have to wait for my daughter to put these things up for me.
There is so much history of Hot Rodding around but it is not centered in any one place and that is a problem. We need some where or some body to record all of our stories and correlate al of our magazines to make our History somehow complete. All of my generation are well into there '60s or early 70's and wont be around for ever to tell how it was.
Eddie Thomas is over 90 and he has great recall of his life he should be honoured by the sport with a story on his life particularly his pioneering of the making of Speed Equiptment.
Bob' maybe somebody can drop by on occassion and give you some tips. It's not hard once you know how, just a little time consuming........ :wink:
Gravity is overated. The earth Sux.

Oz-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club
Member#80
7cylinderHEMI

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

[imgImage

was from QLD, the name was something like England or English the coupe apparently stolen and burnt then recovered and turned into the Ken Hailes Tourer of which i dont have a pic of,maybe Col can enlighten us ,,,[/img] PXG 771?
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

7cylinderHEMI wrote:[imgImage

was from QLD, the name was something like England or English the coupe apparently stolen and burnt then recovered and turned into the Ken Hailes Tourer of which i dont have a pic of,maybe Col can enlighten us ,,,[/img] PXG 771?
Moulded in spears :shock: ........no wonder it didn't catch on.....makes the door look too small :roll:

Nice car though......sad about the BBQ :cry:
7cylinderHEMI

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

Cool 32 wrote:It's not Greg Sainty, his is a 5 window. I believe it was Rod Lingard.

Wayne Alver still owns the yellow 34 coupe saw it last Wednesday night ,sill looks good ,i have a pic but not sure if i should post it,,,
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

7cylinderHEMI wrote:
Cool 32 wrote:It's not Greg Sainty, his is a 5 window. I believe it was Rod Lingard.

Wayne Alver still owns the yellow 34 coupe saw it last Wednesday night ,sill looks good ,i have a pic but not sure if i should post it,,,
According to Larry's History of ASR page 130, the car was built for Terry Dowsett by Rick Ling. If it's the same car, built on an Aussie chassis, and the original Aussie 5 winda body went to Kevin Bird (Cross Rods) Coffs Harbour, was rebuilt is now deep red. Kevin has since sold the car, I believe it still lives on the north coast.
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
7cylinderHEMI

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

[imgImage

South Australian 32 roadster from the 60s ,became a popular car in 70s still channeled ,with mustang tailites ,someone from that way would know it,,
7cylinderHEMI

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

[imgImage

Victorian Rodding Annual 71 ,produced by Norm Darwin for the VHRA has a few good features inc. Bill Barlings /oldCols 36 with specs on its hot sidevalve ,must have been available from rod show,[/img]
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

7cylinderHEMI wrote:[imgImage

South Australian 32 roadster from the 60s ,became a popular car in 70s still channeled ,with mustang tailites ,someone from that way would know it,,
This car was owned by SA rodder Al Trenorden in the early 70's . It was rebuilt with Y block purple paint and yellow flames. Was then purchased by Mick Hearl one of the founding member of our club which at that time was named Street Rods Unlimited. Mick rebuilt it also. This included the fitting of a Holden front end big wheels new black paint wing etc. Was sold to another local who then onsold it to some one in WA . This was all in the mid 70's . Where is it now ?

Sadly, Mick Hearl of "Spray Chief" paints fame died last year as a result of an accident at home.

fredeuce