townsville rodding 1983

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
bushbloke

townsville rodding 1983

Post by bushbloke »

Imageheres one for the townsvile rodders back in 83 i spent a week end there and met some rodders , think his name was mat , he also took me to a friends house who had a 33 tub and a sports coupe body , where are they now ?
324dor

Re: townsville rodding 1983

Post by 324dor »

Quite a collection of cars there. Pretty good looking 38 Coupe. Here's some photos that I took at Garbutt Wreckers about 1968. I've often wondered if Rodders got their hands on any of these.
Ken.
CRUSTY - COUPE

Post by CRUSTY - COUPE »

yer his name is mat and think he still has the 38 coupe,the sports coupe is in t/ville and has blown sb and painted black going for rego now.
crusty
ken1939

Post by ken1939 »

[quote="324dor"]Quite a collection of cars there. Pretty good looking 38 Coupe. Here's some photos that I took at Garbutt Wreckers about 1968. I've often wondered if Rodders got their hands on any of these.

OH MY 32 304 Ute! :D Golly wonder where it is now?
324dor

Post by 324dor »

[quote="ken1939. OH MY 32 304 Ute! :D Golly wonder where it is now?[/quote]
Hopefully it got saved. I actually liked the Marquette sedan that was hanging in the breeze. Reckon it would make an awesome Rod.
My cousin has just finished a build on a 34 Buick Vicky for a customer. It should be at the Nationals. I think I'm correct in saying that Buick & Marquette were somehow related.
Ken.
nassi

Post by nassi »

CRUSTY - COUPE wrote:yer his name is mat and think he still has the 38 coupe,the sports coupe is in t/ville and has blown sb and painted black going for rego now.
crusty
Is Matt a shortish chubby chap by any chance? I was in the RAAF posted there in the 70's, met a chap named Matt who was into rodding and wanted to buy the flathead in my boat.
bushbloke

Post by bushbloke »

that would be him . i can still remember were he used to live ,
nassi

Post by nassi »

bushbloke wrote:that would be him . i can still remember were he used to live ,
Small world then.
bushbloke

Post by bushbloke »

if i remember rite ( its been over 30 years ) he had a 32 roadster that was used on the beach the body was bought by ( think his name was ) ian mcdonald who built a hiboy 32 when there was not very many around most seemed to be in queensland at the time , it had a 2L ford motor in it and was painted a light pale green was a very nice car think it was bought buy col from victoria cant remember his last name used to run the tac down there for years , i got the chassi and still have it to this day , no its not for sale ,
graeme34

Post by graeme34 »

matty never had that 32 roadster it came from a farm on the road to the horton river I cant remember who bought it but I know it went south as I was the one that originally found it when I lived in townsville and started building my 34 Chevy Tourer I knew matty Ryan very well we were good mates and hopefully still are but have not seen him for quite a few years
Cool 32

Post by Cool 32 »

bushbloke wrote:if i remember rite ( its been over 30 years ) he had a 32 roadster that was used on the beach the body was bought by ( think his name was ) ian mcdonald who built a hiboy 32 when there was not very many around most seemed to be in queensland at the time , it had a 2L ford motor in it and was painted a light pale green was a very nice car think it was bought buy col from victoria cant remember his last name used to run the tac down there for years , i got the chassi and still have it to this day , no its not for sale ,
You will find the 32 hi-boy with the 2L Ford that went to Victoria was Ian McConnell. Actually caught up with Ian at the Nat's.
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/TUB32/WestcoastEmblema.jpg[/img]
"Absurdity is my Reality"
bushbloke

Post by bushbloke »

like i said it was 30 + years ago , would be interesting to find out were my chassi came from