Australian Hot Rodder no.3

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
hotrodaccountant1929

Australian Hot Rodder no.3

Post by hotrodaccountant1929 »

just got my copy of Smithy's latest book.

some very good stories - with lots of pic's - about very historical Australian hot rods.
mick

Re: Australian Hot Rodder no.3

Post by mick »

And some very good reading, and I,m not just talking about my coupe, I have almost read the entire book, and the history contained in it is awesome.
I can also highly recommend issues 1 and 2, they are still available and are also the same high standard of quality that Graham is striving for.
Anyone that hasn't read Australian Hotrodder or even seen the book do yourself a favour and check it out, its worth every cent of $29.95 and then some, can't wait for number 4.
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
michael037

Post by michael037 »

Mine arrived in the mail early last week. I was starting to worry that it may have gone missing after there were a couple of posts of others already having it on another thread.
Michael
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

Once again great reading, and it brings back memories, shit I was there for
a lot of those events, Tony Mullens & John English's roadsters at Riverside, seeing Andy
Morris's tourer and thinking WOW, this is different, only ever saw the Mitchell Bros
T once and that was near home.
Great magazine, everybody should get one.
never odd or even
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I was showing zuffen Volume 2 at Motorex whilst we were checking out the Cruzin stand :mrgreen:

Mainly having a closer look at oldcol's sweet 36 coupe 8)

Quality publication
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

G'day Turns, I've been looking at that old white rocket myself this week.....it's got itself installed in the workshop for a long awaited lengthier and quieter exhaust system. Figured that the side exit pipes were a bit of fun for about a day ,after that they were just too effin' noisy :lol: .....and with the hint out there on the forum that EPA nasties were going to target anything louder than a fart , now seemed to be a good time to make up a set of new tailpipes , so that's been the focus since Wednesday. One of the reasons it's taken a while to happen is the place where I've bought mandrel bends since the early 70's had closed up and there hasn't been another local source for quality bends ( that I could find ,at least)......but Ebay to the rescue again.....found a place in Newcastle that did real nice bends and now I've got a good source again 8) 8) . I make the pipes using the time honoured method of cut and shut,then gas weld it all together......this way I get nice even bends without the flattening of the curves that you get with an exhaust tube bender , plus I have the "luxury " of making the pipes go where I want them , which you seldom get with a job from an exhaust joint , and no ugly blobs of Mig weld either :lol: . So anyway,it's all done now and finished off with a neat pair of stainless tips peeking out from under the back bumper ,just like it always used to ,all good again! :lol:

If you liked Smithy's previous editions ,you'll positively love the current one.....anyone who wants one will have to contact Graham directly on 0409 705 062 for the most speedy service ,or pick one up from Graffiti or Cruisin' when next you see them......
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Nice oldcol. I too believe the EPA are hardening up on noise and mods (especially in Victoria). I want to tackle my exhaust install when I eventually get to it and it is good to know my ideas were on the right path. I was going to buy a bunch of mandrel bends and straights, set up the chop saw and start plumbing. I have only ever installed one exhaust years ago and that was to my Mini so I am keen to have another go at one. Your long term exhaust supplier has probably closed up because of ebay :roll:

Issue No2 also has Smithy's roadster featured too. You should already know I like that car but I only noticed the McCullough boost gauge in the column drop in the book.

Typical understated detail from oldcol workshop....too cool 8) 8) 8)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Once again this book is another great read from Graham Smith.

I was particularly interested in the article on the Peter Thomas Deuce Roadster. It appears to have been built in 1953. I wonder how many Rods were built before it.

The Deuce Tourer that I posted pics of was built in 1952 but should it be classed as a Hot Rod or a Special?
The builder of it wanted a Sports car but couldn't afford one so he built a car that he considered to be "sporty".

I find this real early part of our Rodding history to be fascinating. Hopefully there is lots more to come.

Ken.
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

There are plenty of examples of cars that were built by guys who wanted a sports car but couldn't afford one. To my mind they're all hot rods, just called a different name. Tell me more about the tourer.
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

Oldcol wrote:
If you liked Smithy's previous editions ,you'll positively love the current one.....anyone who wants one will have to contact Graham directly on 0409 705 062 for the most speedy service ,or pick one up from Graffiti or Cruisin' when next you see them......
Thanks Col, I rang Graham today and ordered my copy
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
324dor

Post by 324dor »

sweet32 wrote:There are plenty of examples of cars that were built by guys who wanted a sports car but couldn't afford one. To my mind they're all hot rods, just called a different name. Tell me more about the tourer.
Graham.

What I know of it is what I have posted previously. I have copies of all of the photos, about 10. The builder lives local & I can contact him to get more info if you wish.

Ken.
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

Australian Hot Rodder Number 3 has landed and the first copies are being sent out. The ex-Graeme Blaby ’33 coupe now owned by Mick Jubber features on the front cover, while Tony Mullen burns rubber in his ’32 roadster on the back cover. As well as features on both there are also features on Little Sport, the channelled ’32 Sport Coupe built by Ern Harewood in the 1960s and owned since the early 1970s by Maury Stevens, drag racing legend John English, the 1966 Dragfest, the Surf Buggie, the trophy-winning T-bucket built by the Mitchell brothers in the 1960s, the 1940 Sloper original built into a sparkling show-stopper in the 1960s by Geoff Kracht and since rebuilt into a fabulous cruiser by his son David. There’s also a story on Graeme Blaby’s ’33 Tudor and a little known channelled ’32 roadster built by Peter Thomas in 1953, plus features on the early show scene in Australia and the inventive genius of Tasmanian Andy Morris. Stay tuned for news on the official launch at The Rubber Connection.
Eeyore

Post by Eeyore »

I ordered it as soon as I saw it was available and wasn't disappointed. What a great publication I enjoyed all the articles top work guys!
Kurt - 1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe ~ 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon ~ 1979 Mazda RX7
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked #3. With #3 now on sale and moving out the door (If you haven't got a copy get down to The Rubber Connection in Dandnong on Oct 5 for the official launch) we're working on #4. I don't want to give away too many secrets yet, but we've been to Tassie to talk to Peter Leech and Don Langdon and up to Queensland to talk to Warren Wilkie and Leon Birss and next month we'll be in Sydney to catch up with some of the Sydney guys.
michael037

Post by michael037 »

I would really have liked to have headed down for this one, but unfortunately I've offered to take my wife to Canberra that day for a look at Floriade. I had been keeping an eye on this thread, but with no updates thought I would be safe. I hope some of those who will attend can put some pictures up.
Micha