Graeme McCubbin

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Bob Honeybrook

Graeme McCubbin

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

I picked up a speedway mag today and it has a story about the Late Graeme McCubbin who passed away October 30 2013 at the age of 77. As I was out of Australia at the time I was not aware of his death. Did anyone on here post anything re his passing? He was a Hot Rodder and deserves some recognition for his efforts.
RIP Graeme McCubbin, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Gman

Re: Graeme McCubbin

Post by Gman »

Hi Bob,
I did post a notice about Graeme's passing and his then impending funeral. His funeral was a true celebration of his life, lots of friends from the speedway days, and the Early Ford V8 Club.
regards,
Graeme
jww_289

Post by jww_289 »

I picked up a speedway mag today and it has a story about the Late Graeme McCubbin who passed away October 30 2013 at the age of 77
And it was a great read Bob, like so many of those guys they were true hero's doing what they could with what they had in a very unassuming way, too bad they don't make TV series to remember these folk instead of underbloodybelly, tonybloody whats his face etc ..... sheeesh (Sorry thats a whole new subject)

Originally built by racing legend Ray Skipper this car is a replica of the famous #13 car raced by Graham McCubbin at Tracy Speedway in the 50's / 60's
!!
darryn lee 37
Location: Kilmore Vic, The hot rod capital of, well my little world!!

Post by darryn lee 37 »

Awesome old footage...
DARRYN LEE...
(The PEST is back..)
A man VERY PROUD of his hot rodding heritage!!!!

56 CUSTOMLINE
37 Chev sloper
THRTY9

Post by THRTY9 »

Very sad to hear of Graeme McCubbin's passing, a true Gentleman.

I first met Graeme at the Lancefield swap meet seven or eight years ago. He was there with a friend in his friend's 39 standard sedan, I was there looking for the rear split window garnish for my 39. To cut a long story short, Graeme said he would have a look at home to see if he had one. Not only did he, but it was in mint condition and despite my protests he would not take any money for it and was genuinely happy that it would help someone complete their project. All he asked for in return was that I keep an eye out for a dash mounted vacuum gauge for his 40 ute (a proverbial needle in a haystack!). I'm sure there are many stories such as this about Graeme's generousity, not only to people he knew but to complete strangers like myself.

RIP Graeme.

Chris

PS, I did find that 'needle' about six months later at the Geelong swap meet. I excitedly rang Graeme to tell him of my find and he said it was his Birthday the next day (Mother's Day), so when I delivered it to him the next day I said consider this your Birthday present Graeme . . . . what goes around!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Chris, that's not unlike my first meeting with Graeme. The old flattie in my 40 ragtop had burnt a couple of valves, and I was due to head off somewhere (Narrandera?) in a day or two. A friend suggested we give Graeme a call, as he was only about 20 minutes away from where I lived. We rocked up, he gave me a couple of valves which he had prepped to put in his own car, and refused any payment. That was probably 20 years ago. Great bloke.

cheers

Graeme
THRTY9

Post by THRTY9 »

Nice story Graeme,and i bet if you could'nt of got yours going he would have lent you his 40 as well.
Cheers
Chris
Gman

Post by Gman »

His 40 is REAL nice....
mick

Post by mick »

My father is a childhood mate of Graeme's, they grew up together as kids in Footscray, dad has told me a few storys of what they got up to. Graeme came from a wealthy family, Eleanor St, Mc Cubbin St and Mavis St Footscray are all named after Graeme's family. My father grew up in the two storey house that Graeme's parents owned in Mavis St. Unfortunately the house is long gone and is now a car park which is on the corner of Ballarat Rd and Mavis St. Graeme was always going to be a car guy having owned a neat 39 convert back in the fifties. My father in law John Brotheridge ( The Brog ) also raced speedway and also knew Graeme quite well. Very sad he went the way he did. R.I.P.
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

That '39 was a hand me down from his Dad ,Norm, who had bought it new.....early in the piece Graeme gave it a slight haircut and a few body mods ( which he later regretted) ....then later on it ended up with a guy by the name of Murray Batson and was a single page featured "oldie"in the back of one of the early issues of Custom Rodder . Then a bit later on in the early 70's it was in the hands of Brian and Carol Clague ,painted a medium orange and with canted quad headlights, a nice car for the time. Later it got sold again and ended up in Warragul with one of the Slingshots members, Peter Vansittart....He started to do a rebuild on it with mega detail and then sold it before he finished it ....it went to Geelong for a while where it was completed by Andrew Park ( he's unfortunately no longer with us).....and then it vanished. Graeme was really keen to find it and restore it, but despite much effort....it's still in hiding somewhere. I was friends with Graeme for a good while , being introduced by a good friend and client,Ian Watson about 30 years ago. Ian and Graeme along with Barry Williams all went to primary school together, and have remained best mates all this time...all did speedway and hotrodding together too. There is an upcoming story on Graeme in the next Aust. Hotrodder , the other Graham( Smith) was in the process of compiling the story when Graeme took ill , and sadly was taken from us before it could all be completed......although with the help of Ian and Barry,enough detail was put together to do the man justice......RIP Graeme , a nicer bloke you'd be hard pressed to find.....
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

I have found a couple of Magazine articles on Graeme when he raced in New South Wales around 1963, when my daughter calls in I will get her to scan & post them.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

This is the first edition of Hot Rod Digest that had a story on Grahame McCubbin winning the 1962 NSW Hot Rod Championship at Kembla Grange Speedway. Graham's T Ford powered by a sidevalve Ford V8 was the class car of the field. Grahame and Laurie Parry were both Hot Rodders on the dirt and on the street.

https://www.facebook.com/bob.honeybrook ... uploaded=4
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Your fb link had me looking at all your pics Bob.........wow 8)

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

Glad you enjoyed them turns. Regards.