Peter Eames Chevy bucket

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
sweet32

Peter Eames Chevy bucket

Post by sweet32 »

Anyone know the whereabouts of the Chevy bucket built by Peter Eames in Melbourne in the 1960s? I've been told it's in Ballarat. I've also been told it's now black and it has a pickup bed instead of the original ducktail Eames mounted on the rear. I'm doing a story for Australan Hot Rodder and would like to track it down.
low n loud

Re: Peter Eames Chevy bucket

Post by low n loud »

Surely Old Col could tell the whole story and put you onto the man himself? Col?
LEAD IS FOR PENCILS
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Last I saw it,it was flat black with a pickup bed as you state.From memory the rework was done by Glen Dyson of Castlemaine probably 15 years ago.Can't remember exactly why;it had been involved in an accident or something,Glen picked it up cheap,fixed it up and turned it over.Personally,I thought it looked good when I saw it at Bright Rod Run about 10 years ago.I have a feeling it has changed hands again since then.
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

I believe it had been in a fire and the fibreglass tail was destroyed.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

Last I heard it was over Ballarat way after being sold by Glenn Dyson. If I recal correctly there is even a picture on here somewhere of it taken at about that time as a pickup. I believe Ballarat Rodder Mick Cox may have owned it? There was a suggestion it was sold to Geelong but not sure if this is correct. Some of the Ballarat boys know more. Here is one of OldCol's old pics I managed to find.
Dave Petrusma
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

Mick Cox did own it. He sold it about four years ago to someone in Geelong. When I spoke to him he couldn't remember the guy's name. Hopefully the name will come to him. Maybe someone in Geelong will know the name of the current owner.
xx34

Post by xx34 »

my mate Laine from melb owned it for years and his garage caught fire it and an A tudor went up . he sold it about 6 mths later.....it has a pick up bed on it now im sure.... give me a call and i can pass u on 2 my mate he would know and have lots of pics....0414 43 3 350 alex
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

Thanks Alex. Will call. Mick Cox sold it in 2005 after rebuilding it. He tells me it is in Geelong. Any Geelong rodders know of it?
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

Thanks to the different leads I have received I have been able to interview everyone who owned Peter's bucket between 1986 and 2005. Prior to 1986 it was owned by a hot rodder in Geelong and I'd now like to talk to him. I understand he rebuilt the car and repainted it red. Anyone know who it was?
UteWorks

Post by UteWorks »

Dave wrote:Last I heard it was over Ballarat way after being sold by Glenn Dyson. If I recal correctly there is even a picture on here somewhere of it taken at about that time as a pickup. I believe Ballarat Rodder Mick Cox may have owned it? There was a suggestion it was sold to Geelong but not sure if this is correct. Some of the Ballarat boys know more. Here is one of OldCol's old pics I managed to find.
Been looking a while at the picture of the front end 'face' of the Chev to see what mighta inspired it (never seen it in the flesh) I reckons a touch of Willys 77 inspiration. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change... http://wattsupwiththat.com/

Australia’s most viewed site on global warming... http://joannenova.com.au
sweet32

Post by sweet32 »

It was built from a ’34 Chev tourer Peter Eames bought from a wrecking yard in the mid-1960s and cut down into a bucket. The front end in the photo is one he later made using a ’35 Chev grille with dual headlights moulded into it. He never liked it and later went back to a ’34 Chev grille and Prefect headlights.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

And named "Green Hornet". Another unique feature back in the days when all and sundry were cramming V8 ,s into every rod build this was powered by a grey 6 .

Frank
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31