Fitting disc brakes to a mid 30,s plymouth tube axle

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
28rp

Fitting disc brakes to a mid 30,s plymouth tube axle

Post by 28rp »

Hi All
After being left behind by two other people after the Andy Morris Auction here in Tassie, a mid to late 30,s Plymouth/Dodge tube axle and stubs was donated to me by Andy, s stepson. Has any one fitted or is there a kit out there for fitting late model ventilated discs-pref Falcon bolt pattern to the stock Mopar stubs?
I bought a bit of other stuff at the auction and included was enough bits to build a little track roadster and the axle would look neat out the front on quarter elliptic springs.
Just doing a little thinking out loud and dreaming a bit here-but would n, t it be a neat project?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ash
GigglingMonkey

Re: Fitting disc brakes to a mid 30,s plymouth tube axle

Post by GigglingMonkey »

28rp wrote:Hi All
Just doing a little thinking out loud and dreaming a bit here-but would n, t it be a neat project?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ash
The best advice you'll ever get (if you read between the lines) is measure twice, cut once.

sounds like a fun project

mick in glen innes
WORK the curse of the Rodding classes
1956 Mainline
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

I've done a couple, there are several ways to do it. You can adapt early Ford stubs by reaming the king pin hole in the axle, then use an early Ford disc kit. I did one using Ford escape Rotors with slight machine work to the Plymouth hubs to register the rotors, screw in wheel studs, and late model GM calipers on a plate adapter. Also the Plymouth stub uses the same bearings as a Model A Ford, so any rotor that can be adapted to a Model A will adapt to a Plymouth. Your Mieage may vary.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
Outback

Post by Outback »

Great info ^^^^^^
Nothing is worth having, that isn't worth waiting for!
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

I've been running P76 discs & calipers on my 1940 Dodge front end since 1975/76......whilst the 1940 Dodge front end is independent and I'm using 1941-62 Oz Plymouth-Chrysler Royal stub axles which fit straight on I think the basic stub axle design is the same from 1937-1940 so you could check out P76 or even XR/T to XY Falcon which I think use the same wheel bearings as P76...........Andy Douglas.
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Thankyou Everyone for the info. Just thought I would throw it out here to see what I could learn. The axle was a freebie and I also came home with a lot of Model A stuff that I won the bid on. Amongst it all was the front half of an A chassis and a trailer load or two of body panels .I was thinking a little bobtail p/up or similar would be neat using the above listed parts and a set of 16'' Plymouth wires I have in stock with maybe a side valve four or six for something different power plant wise. As I said-just thinking out loud........................
zacs56

Post by zacs56 »

my 36 dodge runs valiant disc on the old beam front end
A HOTROD is chopped , droped , and in the weeds and driven .
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Hi mate,just to go off on a bit of a tangent, seeing you were at Andys auction, would you be good enough to do a bit of a write up on it as I'm sure there'd be lots of other folks like me who knew Andy and would like to hear some details and results of the day....the Pub section would be a good spot for it, thanks in advance! 8)
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!