Xj6/Xj40 front ends

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Grazza
Old Hand

Xj6/Xj40 front ends

Post by Grazza »

Can anyone tell me if an Xj40 front end is suitable to use on a Hot Rod? From the research I have been able to do, it appears the front ends are different, but xj6 and '40 front ends also use quite a few of the same parts. XJ40 appears to be a bit wider than the Xj6, but that doesn't matter all that much as the XJ6 will need to be narrowed for my use anyhow. What other differences are there? Could the Falcon brake conversion be done on an Xj40?

Any and all information greatfully accepted, thanks.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
Dave
Old Hand

Re: Xj6/Xj40 front ends

Post by Dave »

My understanding of the XJ40 front end is that it is more of a 'unitary' crossmember, with the suspension parts then bolted to it. XJ6 up to series 3 have a crossmember which unbolts completely with a power rack also bolted to the crossmember. Some of the XJ40 parts may interchange onto an earlier crossmember but I cannot be sure. Stick to series 2 or 3 XJ6 (with better brakes than S1) and save the dramas!
Dave Petrusma
Loco_motive

Re: Xj6/Xj40 front ends

Post by Loco_motive »

Hi Grazza, I have an XJ40 front end I am hoping to use in my pickup when I build it. It is a bit different than earlier XJ6 front ends. It has no camber adjustment but does have caster adjustment. I am hoping to make my own crossmember to slim it down a little and possibly narrow it as well if needed. Not sure if it is wider than earlier models or not.

Cheers Brendan