Bob Jane and Hot Rods

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
fredeuce

Bob Jane and Hot Rods

Post by fredeuce »

I hope the above title strikes a chord with some of the more senior hot rodders out there.

Many years ago, in fact , in Feb 1970 I traveled to Melbourne to go to Sandown Park for the races being held there . At that time Norm Beechey's HT Monaro in Shell livery was debuted. In our travels we attended a large Bob Jane wharehouse and showroom where he sold racing tyres from.I have no idea where that was. Very prominent in the show room was , as best I can recall, a channeled T roadster , gloss black in colour. It had a high level of finish on it and I believe was flatty powered. This was on the Saturday. The next day it was involved in a parade on the track with a number of other hot rods to transport the F5000 drivers, also competing that weekend, around the track.

Anyone know this car or indeed have any pics of it or that weekend.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Fred

On further reflection and doing some research I believe the location was on Sydney Road at Brunswick up the road from Norm Beechey's Speed Shop which we had visited just prior to visiting Bob Jane's premises.
fredeuce
nomadawhat

Re: Bob Jane and Hot Rods

Post by nomadawhat »

Sure it was a T? Could it have been an improved A?
If an A, it probably was Ron Bodley's A roadster, it was channelled, black and had a sidey. Was featured in the Summer 1967 Custom Rodder, and a copy of that is in the Eagles Rod & Custom Club website, in the "Magazine Write Ups" section. if you have trouble finding that page, let me know your email address and I'll send a link.

Cheers, Des
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Des,
Thanks for your response. I have been able to find the page you mention and have to say it does resemble the car.

Bearing in mind that my memory is about events that occurred a long time ago, you could well be right about this being the car. My memory of the engine was that it had standard style Ford heads on it , no aftermarket Edelbrock heads or anything like that, just this car has. It also has a high level of finish to it.

Do you know if this car is still around or if Ron Bodley is still around? He may be able to shed some light on all of this.

All I can say when you're a 13 year old kid and get to go on a weekend like this , it's something you don't forget.

Cheers,
Fred
fredeuce
nomadawhat

Post by nomadawhat »

I found my scans of that CR, so see if this works.

Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

fredeuce wrote: Do you know if this car is still around or if Ron Bodley is still around? He may be able to shed some light on all of this.
Cheers,
Fred
car is still around, but not in this exact form
never odd or even
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

I took this photo at Riverside drags back in the 60's, you can see the high level of construction and
it certainly made a huge impression on everyone :D
never odd or even
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Phil . That must have been taken pretty close to the end of Riverside . That vehicle would have been registered in 1967 going by the plates and looks like late with the Aug sticker . Was it a fresh build then at Riverside when the photo was taken or was it taken later ?
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

I believe it may have been it's first outing, just have a look at his face :wink:
never odd or even
Pato

Post by Pato »

A mate of mine bought Ron's rod from a car yard in 1968 and drove it daily. Bob my mate took it to Calder to drag it and Ron Bodly came up and introduced himself. Ron informed us that there was porosity in one of the bores which he had filled with araldite so not long after he built it he sold it. Bob informed Ron that it was running fine which upset Ron. Bob spoke to soon as the araldite gave way and the sump filled with water soon after the drags. Bob and I replaced the motor but it always had a mayor oil leak from the sump which with our limited skills at the time could not fix. Bob traded the rod in on a XR V8 fairmont at a Bob Jane car yard. Bob Jane use to display the rod in his show rooms of his car yards and every time we saw it it had a oil tray underneath it. I have not seen the car since the early 70's. I have a lot of good memories of this rod Bob and I would spend most Saturdays polishing it for Sunday cruises.
Pat
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Pato,
Thanks for your contribution, that answers my questions in my initial post. It would be interesting to see what the car looks like today.
Cheers, Fred
Last edited by fredeuce on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredeuce
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

a pic of it turned up in Street Rodding mag some time ago, from memory it's a highboy and painted red
never odd or even
AR 66

Post by AR 66 »

Great photo Phil.
JNZ- was issued in 1966.
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

AR 66 wrote:Great photo Phil.
JNZ- was issued in 1966.
1966, well that's interesting, it must have been one of the last Riverside meetings.
I never put dates on my pics. :roll:
Thanks Andy, what are you up to these days?
never odd or even
AR 66

Post by AR 66 »

Yep, JKH-800 to JRD-899 issued in Vic for '66, and the August label works in with that.
I still occasionally catch up with Steve Hill, son of Dennis Hill, part of the Riverside crew. I know Dennis had a few photos from that era too.

Busy working, but now on the lookout for a new project. Put a wanted ad up today for an early Falcon van. I'm sure you remember that I always had at least one Falcon in the driveway.