Points or electronic dizzy

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Mudgy
Old Hand

Re: Points or electronic dizzy

Post by Mudgy »

That's why I say you need the shaft to run true in very firm - but not tight - bushes. It makes a hell of a difference.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Mudgy wrote:That's why I say you need the shaft to run true in very firm - but not tight - bushes. It makes a hell of a difference.

Cheers, Mudgy
Amen to that Mudgy . With mine I discovered that any play within an accepted tolerance over time would have had the 8 reluctor points at risk of hitting the field points that they rotated inside of. Reason being is that when replacing the pick up coil and field assembly I had to use my thinnest brass shim almost tin foil thick material around the central reluctor to centralise the outer assembly with the corresponding vee points and tighten the attaching screws ,it was a squeeze . The tolerance was very tight . I doubt if any allowance was made for any future shaft movement ,even a poofteenth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
The Chinese seem to do this with tolerance . Found this with Ozito angle grinders and their brush holders . The brass brush holders were that close to the armature ,any play in the shaft would cause failure , I found this out after swapping several under their warranty policy . I ended up dissembling a new replacement and noticed that they were fixing what was a problem by "shimming" using a washer under the brush holders held in place with silastic before screwing down the assembly . This was also noted in my failed units before return. My fix was to file material off the brush holder giving more clearance . :roll: :roll: These things now have now taken plenty of punishment and have outlasted several routine worn brush replacements :D :D :D :D :D :D .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I am fiddling with a Windsor at the moment that has a Bosch points distributor and was going to run with them as I don't really want to change distributors.

I have swapped over to HEI many times before (OEM, MSD, Accel etc) and always have gotten good results but thought I would try a Petronix kit in the stock Bosch distributor. I have heard they are reliable and offer good value - anyone used them before?

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Turns .
My 66 Mustang coupe came in Pertronix equipped 13 years ago. It gave me no trouble ,I removed the Autolite distributor only to upgrade to HEI . Early 2015 I put the 66 Convertible on the road and could not adjust the timing due to the distributor being galvanised to the engine block , I had to mangle it . I now have the old Coupe Pertronix equipped distributor in this vehicle and it is still going fine. If you come across a Bosch Valiant V8 "electronic " distributor at a swap meet ,grab it . The important bits will convert your existing Bosch to one that will trigger a HEI module .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Thanks Frank - I will give the Pertronix a go.

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
bucketmouth

Post by bucketmouth »

Ok I'll put my two bobs worth in.
If you aren't going to be driving it a lot leave the points because you wont have to worry about maintenance like cleanin/replacing points adjusting timing and so on for a long while.
If you are driving it a lot electronic is the way to go. Set up once and never touch it again.
I put a petronix conversion in mine and haven't touched it since. Starts easier,runs better and gets to max revs quicker with no fuss.No having to recheck timing just so much better.
But just like having to carry a spare set of points and condensor I would recommended carrying a spare module.
I can only speak for the Petronix conversion because some of the Electronic dizzis you can buy are crap and don't perform well and the modules are suss hence why some people replace it with a Bosch module.
That's been my experience with both points and electronic systems.
Good luck with it.
bucketmouth

Post by bucketmouth »

turns wrote:Thanks Frank - I will give the Pertronix a go.

Cheers Turns
Make sure you purchase the latest Pertronix and not some ones old stock from years gone past.The new systems are way superior than they once were. :idea:
buickroadster

Post by buickroadster »

I have an msd electronic dissy,accel coil(the big yellow one)and msd 6a box to control it all. This was installed when I built my rod in 1995 and have never given any problems. I do around 20k per year(been to Perth, Hobart etc. etc.)buy good quality stuff first and you won't have to buy it second!
nassi

Post by nassi »

turns wrote:Thanks Frank - I will give the Pertronix a go.

Cheers Turns
Pertronix are a very good replacement IMO. I ran one for 15 years on all my Mustangs without a problem. The ignitor 1 has the advantage of no mods to the distributor so if it were to fail you just dropped your points back in, I never needed to do this though. The only disadvantage that I could see was that if you were to leave your ignition on without the engine running it could fry the unit.
Harv

Post by Harv »

The Pertronix units are not bad kit, though results vary on the performance increase and reliability. The Ignitor 1 kits had fixed dwell, and in some cases the dwell was far less than the factory points - they relied on faster (electronic) switching in order to deliver more power from the coil. Older coils with slow recharge rates can struggle a bit with the faster switching - it's not a bad idea to replace older coils when installing the Pertronix units.

Some more info and testing results (plus comparisons to dual-point dizzies and maggies) here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... eto+thread

A little grey motor centric, so apologies in advance (gettit? advance... nyuk nyuk nyuk :lol: ).

Cheers,
Harv