Sun visor using welding shade type plastic

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
KustomKulture62

Sun visor using welding shade type plastic

Post by KustomKulture62 »

Wondering if the plastic type welding darkening material is available in larger pieces than that going in a welding helmet.
I'd like to make up a couple of sun visors with a permanent see through visor inserted.
Now that summer is here driving home of an arvo when the sun is directly in my eyes is almost impossible to see.
I often think if an Elephant was standing in the middle of the road I'd hit it with the view being so bad.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Re: Sun visor using welding shade type plastic

Post by 46 deluxe »

What about coloured Perspex ?
scott
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Something like that was being flogged on TV about 12 months ago.

Ugly as all get out but it did appear to work.

I've seen one in use on the road. looked odd but the driver seemed to like it.

Google tinted sun visor and they are there.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
KustomKulture62

Post by KustomKulture62 »

Oh yes I had one of those visors :evil: yes great at first but with having to constantly finger them and even cleaning them very soon the visibility was terrible and useless.
This is why I was wondering about the welding/grinding type materials.
Googled tells me that bigger curved pieces for oxy and grinding are available but I don't know if they'd be willing to lay perfectly flat.
Then again maybe the visors replacement screens lay flat like the olden days grinding shield replacements.

Another thought maybe if I purchased a couple of those visors and either had the reading glasses type of clear anti scratch spay applied or even apply that clear self sticking material that's applied to the fronts of computer monitor screens and TV's.
My old monitor had a piece of that material on it and I'd been cleaning it with a chux for years and all was well and it wasn't until after the monitor failed that I released it even had the clear over the screen.

Thanks for putting me on the right tracks guys, here's a simple fix for stopping those TV ad visors from scratching.
Just found where large flat clear pieces of tuff plastics are available for the auto darkening helmets.
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

What about regular perspex and then buying some dark window tinting film to apply to it?
Pariahs C.C.