NSW REGO SYSTEMS

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
steve the ford guy

Re: NSW REGO SYSTEMS

Post by steve the ford guy »

Driving home with my annual inspection certificate (cost $40), got passed on the road by a speeding Qld plated Toyota Hilux blowing excessive exhaust smoke. It kinda makes a mockery of the high R&MS standards required of us in NSW and highlights the R&MS self serving thought processes on safety.
How many other unsafe Qld cars are there on NSW roads? If I was a cop I'd be taking the plates off cars like this. Our last state premier came up with the unpopular idea of banning greyhound racing, that would be a reality if people hadn't objected in a by-election, then we have the walk back on lockout laws due to protests and now the walk back on council amalgamations. I think a ban on old cars on NSW roads could well be just a state election away if certain SJW (Enviro) activists get their way.
Early Iron

Post by Early Iron »

OK; Bill Jansen told me about this post as I am one of many N.S.W. Rodders who have just changed their "Fully Registered" - "Fully Engineered" HOT ROD onto the new 60 Day Modified Classic Scheme.
Now this hassle appears, and I have only used almost 20 of my entitled 60 days (due again in March) and have NOT even taken advantage of the CLUB EVENTS which the ACMC (Australian Confederation of Motoring Clubs) and RMS (Roads and Maritime Services) {The old RTA- Roads and Traffic Association} told me were allotted.
Before I decided to change from "Full Rego" to MCVS (Modified Classic Vehicle Scheme) I asked about the ability of swapping back to "Full Rego" and I was advised that there was NO WORRIES - I needed a BLUE SLIP before going to the new scheme as my Rod would be classed as an Unregistered vehicle - A Permit to use an Unregistered Vehicle (this is what the rego is) but when and if I decided to go back to FULL REGO I would then get a PINK SLIP - I now have some concerns about this !!!
I thought the scheme was a good thing as I don't use my old jalopy a heap these days but still enjoy it immensely when I do; so paying a lesser toll appeared a good idea and being on the Pension it's a real bonus. Not to mention the drop in my Insurance (and this could be another good argument some day) policy cost.
When I first heard of the possible change I had a slight heart flutter (and not for the right reason) but I didn't go into PANIC MODE as I thought I'd let it lie a while and then talk to someone who might know more of the facts - which I did and felt assured that at least it was being looked into by the correct people who look after us Hot Rodders.
When I applied for the Scheme, I had to give the RMS a COPY (of which I still have six more) of my "Engineers Report" as they said they don't have them on their computer system (SLACK AYE) and by the way; my '32 Tudor was engineered and registered on the Street Rod scheme in 1989 and I did some small changes (NON Structural really) in about 2011 and I had my car RE-ENGINEERED mainly because of the way the first engineer had worded the report (this Engineer has since passed away) and the new guy actually asked why I wanted another report done.
Anyway; now I hear that the Authorities might be rescinding the motion that has caused this debacle and Heated arguments ?? I reckon time (and the correct involvement) may put us back on track - I hope so.
One other thing - I notice a lot of flack towards the RMS staff and their antiquated systems. You're probably basically correct but as someone (old Col maybe) has mentioned - blaspheme (I am definitely no angel) and insults (I'm good at this too) do not help our cause. I too found that the RMS Staff didn't know one end of the scheme from the other and every Hot Rodder should understand that they and MUCH of the population DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHAT A HOT ROD IS - heaven knows - these days not many so-called HOT RODDERS even know this.
One more thing - Black and White plates - I had my RE 835's on "Nadine" (my '32 Tudor) and I have had these plates since the late 1970's and treasure them dearly. I had to put them in hold as I don't have another vehicle to put them on YET. I asked about the possibility of getting to use these on the 60 Day Scheme and the people ( I had three looking at my case) said that it could be a possibility but that their computer systems were not up-to-it at this date in time.............YIPPEE. What else is new?
Anyway; things need to be kept an eye on and tempers kept KOOL - COOL - KOOLE (however you want to spell it) and we need to "Ride this one out" as we have many many times since the inclusion of the Hot Rod in the NSW registration scheme.
Ray Ellis.
PS - Please leave any comments and monies on this post. Be constructive.
I'd rather have a Flathead
than Overhead Bowels !!!!
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

wow I hope there's no pain for you if you want to go back to full rego.

Seems a bit weird that the governing body isn't schooled up on this system, especially if us lot are forced to comply strictly.
As you said or inferred maybe us lot are more "on top" of what's going on than in the departmental offices.

Pays to be I suppose. At least when you front for the holy grail (number plates) you know your own ducks are going to be in a row. Due diligence I believe is the term.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

It appears that the RMS is rescinding the decision ( regarding re- engineering ) at least for the moment.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
T1916

Post by T1916 »

Hey Raymondo

I put my T on limited rego up here in QLD and had to hand back my TI916 plates back ( after 32 yrs). They have S plates up here on all club rego cars. There is no seperate plates H or SR, etc. But they do allow personal plates on limited rego cars.
So I have a normal plate on my T (16 TEE). And you would not know who is on club rego or not.

Cheers GT.
stuartcranky

Post by stuartcranky »

2 weeks ago a guy I know in the Kempsey area had a 1963 Buick on Historic ( it should not have been as it is modified ans was Engineered in 1989 ) when he found out it should not have been on historic he got a blue slip to put it on 60 conditional rego but when he herd that the old certificate was not longer able to be used he went to our local services NSW and put it back on Full Rego with out any problems and they didnt ask him for a copy of his engineers certificate he had to ask them if they wanted a copy ,just goes to show that the RMS dont talk to their staff
tex013

Post by tex013 »

the RMS have adjusted their application of this rule change .
They will accept the older engineer reports BUT ONLY if they are previously on system and noted on rego papers . Check AIS notice 36 issued 06/02/2018 .

Tex
My fuel pump is louder than your Prius