Doesn't anybody want to build shiny rods anymore !

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Outback

Re:

Post by Outback »

This was written about 15years ago. An interesting insite!
Brett.C wrote:It's just a trend that will eventually burn itself out just like all the others have done in the past. Anyone remember when every car was candy apple? Pastel? Pearl? Flake? And so on and so on.

What we need is some kinda product that we can apply over our nice shiny rods that will give them that dull flat look without damaging the paintwork. Then when the trend swings back again we wash the shit off and be back in vogue.

The great thing about trends is that they never really fade away altogether and enough examples survive to act as inspirations for future generations. Just think how boring things would be today without all those trends of the last 60 years. I'd reckon we might as well be restorers if that were the case :roll:

What's going on at the moment is a kind of back to basics counter culture which is quite understandable given the direction the big buck end of the spectrum has been heading over the past decade or so.
But I reckon that this is probably healthy for our sport coz it acts as a kind of safety valve for those that feel left behind as we head towards the $50K mark for an average rod.

I just hope though that we don't end up with an us and them type mentality where both sides believe that "they" are the only "true" hotrodders.

One thing I know for sure though, my next rod will be "nice n shiny" and although it will have an early styling it will definitely be unique.
Just like my present ride :wink:
Nothing is worth having, that isn't worth waiting for!