Ls1 camaro sump

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
pilot48

Ls1 camaro sump

Post by pilot48 »

G day has any one used a Camaro sump conversion on a ls1 to get the deep part at the back. If so how dose it effect the oil filter. I am fitting one to a 39 chev with a jag front end and need to get the motor down a bit both sump and filter will foul.
toprodz
Old Hand

Re: Ls1 camaro sump

Post by toprodz »

pilot48 wrote:G day has any one used a Camaro sump conversion on a ls1 to get the deep part at the back. If so how dose it effect the oil filter. I am fitting one to a 39 chev with a jag front end and need to get the motor down a bit both sump and filter will foul.
Hi pilot I have an LS1 in my A Model build and I used an F Body sump which was the fourth gen Camaro that was built with the LS1 between 1998 and 2002 here's a picture I found online it is shallower but longer in the pan than the later model one

Here’s a picture I found online of the later 5th gen Camaro which is shorter and deeper at the at the back, which has been known to cause problems when fitted to early Camaros and Chevelle’s as it is too deep
On both the oil filter moves with the hump to the rear
There is also an Ls2 6 litre sump which is a rear bowl but is very long towards the front as these were used in VE and VF commodores to hold more oil and provide longer time between services. Here's a photo from the net
I hope this helps a little
I have all 3 at work and I can take better pictures tomorrow if you want
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
pilot48

Re: Ls1 camaro sump

Post by pilot48 »

Thanks Toprodz that covers all needed to know the one that you used loos to be what will work for me it should clear the jag front end. I will have to slide it back a little but will get me out of trouble.