ABS

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
pilot48

ABS

Post by pilot48 »

Hi is it possible to put abs on jag front and rear ends I'm putting Commodore engine and trans in a 39 chev with jag suspension and may need abs to run the computers I have all the parts from the commodore . Would be interesting to know if it could be done.
Last edited by pilot48 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: ABS

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Later Jags/Sovereign did have ABS . I remember my son who worked on Jags telling me of road testing for a fault ,and it was due to wrong rotors :x . Strangely enough brings up the price difference of disc rotors at the wreckers price board . ABS was more $9 each :roll: . I needed front rotors for a non ABS Commodore and simply belted the pressed on star wheel sleeves off the hubs of an ABS equipped vehicle .
I understand the ABS systems to be a free standing computer controlled set up . Someone can correct me . If so the fitment of the compatible rotors/sleeves and sensors can be retro fitted along with the rest of the brake hardware . Interesting thought to discuss .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
torana68

Post by torana68 »

Anything is possible but speak to your engineer as you may incur a lot more $$$$$ proving it all works as it’s supposed to.
wanted : chrome reverse 15" Ford pattern
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

pilot48 wrote:Hi is it possible to put abs on jag front and rear ends I'm putting Commodore engine and trans in a 39 chev with jag suspension and may need abs to run the computers I have all the parts from the commodore
I am putting an LS1 and auto from a VT SS Commodore in my A model with a independent front end that I have made as well as a shortened jag diff, I will be running Wilwood brakes on the front and Jag rear brakes until I upgrade them later, I have had the computer done to remove all the security codes, no need to worry about ABS.
What engine and trans are you running as I remember talking with someone a few years back about using the late model 6 speed auto and it may need the rear wheel sensors to help control the trans, In saying that I have just finished putting a LS2 and 6 speed auto in a 34 coupe and the wiring loom has been done but no mention of needing the sensors, we do need to run the fly by wire accelerator pedal and shifter from the same car to make it work.
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

I'm only running a ls1 and 4l60 and was just going to use it because I had most of what is needed to do it . Thought that if it was easy enough that it would be a good thing but sounds like its not going to be worth the bother thanks for the replies