Under Dash Brake Assembly

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
302-coop

Re: Under Dash Brake Assembly

Post by 302-coop »

46 deluxe wrote:Early 80's to mid 80's ford Spectron and similar vans have a similar setup I think .
Same with the mazda's of the same years .
Thanks mate
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I have looked at van ones but never used one.

I will second sending toprodz a PM as he fabricates a good one

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

turns wrote:I have looked at van ones but never used one.

I will second sending toprodz a PM as he fabricates a good one

Cheers Turns
Cheers mate
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I used one of the aftermarket ones on the 36 when I built it ,worked ok but was a pain to work on if you wanted to change the booster or the MC as I did to try to get the brakes working ok and putting fluid in was another problem ,that is the reason I put the booster and MC on the firewall this time .The other thing you could do is put the booster under the dash and MC outside on the firewall if you have room .that way it is easy to service :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Always something to consider Monte ,is the later ability to service items. F truck with master under the floor is ok when you have a tin inspection plate in the floor ,all simply covered by a rubber mat . Then along we come and fit insulation and nice carpet . Or building a ride and not considering to cover any eventuality like removing a transmission without having to rip the engine out or half out to do so . :roll:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

it's called forward planning frank :wink: :D
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

jailbar joe wrote:it's called forward planning frank :wink: :D
Yep something I forgot when fitting the pad bolt lock to my newly constructed shed up the backyard . Fitted the large pad bolt mechanism to the door ,the bolt slid into a 4mm thick drilled steel tongue welded to the inside of the RHS door frame of the shed . For perfect alignment I locked the bolt into place and welded the tongue into final position from inside the shed with door shut :D . I was locked in :oops: .
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

I'm glad I am not the only one who has "seniors' moments" Frank. :roll:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

monte wrote:I used one of the aftermarket ones on the 36 when I built it ,worked ok but was a pain to work on if you wanted to change the booster or the MC as I did to try to get the brakes working ok and putting fluid in was another problem ,that is the reason I put the booster and MC on the firewall this time .The other thing you could do is put the booster under the dash and MC outside on the firewall if you have room .that way it is easy to service :D :D
Have plenty of room might just do that as have been thinking it wouldbe a good idea
Cheers
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Another angle is to use a remote reservoir for visual fluid level checks and top ups . With the booster under dash and firewall master cyl , make sure that the activating pin from the booster is lengthened accordingly to compensate for the firewall now becoming a spacer .
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I will add, that I priced a 90deg booster, master with remote reservoir for my Ranchero build and got a quote for $2500

Yes I got sticker shock :shock:

Remind me why we all like modifying cars again :mrgreen:

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Bloody hell Turns , for that price did they mean a full fitted brake system ? :lol: . What drove the decision for that consideration choice in the Ranchero aside to a blank firewall ?
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Bloody hell Turns , for that price did they mean a full fitted brake system ? :lol: . What drove the decision for that consideration choice in the Ranchero aside to a blank firewall ?
Personally I thought it was expensive. Logically though, if I broke it down into R&D, laser cutting, fabrication, ordering the parts, assembly, warranty and had all these costs collide with commercial reality, I can see how a business can justify the price tag. Maybe I am out of touch? I still have huge financial responsibilities with kids etc so maybe my view is skewed.

Well I learnt from a good mate that building cars is all about making choices. The Ranchero build started off 'perhaps I can grab that roller, stick an engine in it and drive it type thing' as I am going a bit crazy working 7 days at times without a release. Obviously this isn't my first rodeo and knew it wouldn't be so simple. i.e. I'll just give the engine bay a quick squirt of paint to stop corrosion and then you can't bolt the shitty bonnet catch back on without some paint too..............you know the drill Frank :mrgreen:

The Ranchero I have was brought to Australia to be stripped of it's running gear - and it was. Not just driveline though. All of it. In regard to the brake booster choice, I did a front disc conversion and needed a boosted system in my mind. I haven't messed with this era Ford before but as you know there is little room between the firewall and strut tower on these cars that limits space for a typical booster/ master setup. Most of these cars have a the master on the firewall and a remote booster setup. I am cool with that as I have setup many remote boosters from my days messing with Minis and that wasn't really what I wanted so had to explore other options and there aren't many.

I did my research and when I spoke to companies about options, I mostly heard crickets chirping or was offered shitty and loose options that I had no confidence in. I just ordered up the parts and started modifying :mrgreen:

The choices I made seem sound although I haven't driven it yet :shock: I asked an expert brake company whether my plans would work? You may have to trim a little bit sheet metal was the comment. Well, I took a pic the other day and thought 'ha - this is now in the full fabrication mode of car building'.

I will update my build thread soon - I have just been a bit shy with it :oops:

Chhers Turns

NB I appreciate all your input to the forum Frank Basile - I have never met you but have read your wisdom for years. Thank you 8)
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Sorry for the hi-jack 302-coop
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

turns wrote:Sorry for the hi-jack 302-coop
All good mate