BW diff

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
spinner50

BW diff

Post by spinner50 »

G,day guys just seeing if anyone on here can help .I have a BW diff from a ZH Fairlane under my spinner , no noise in a straight line and drives both wheels evenly {lsd] but if I turn & backup in a car park it shudders and jumps with a noise must be clutch I guess what to try ??
spinner50

Re: BW diff

Post by spinner50 »

I mean clutch packs in diff of coarse ...
37fordpu

Post by 37fordpu »

Mine did this till I put the GMH lsd additive in and it stopped almost straight away .Lsd oils off the shelf wouldn't work in mine
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

I hope its as simple as that , we towed a van to Mt Gambier with no trouble and since being back I topped up diff with castrol limslip 90 oil and straight away this has started yet its the same oil I had left when I changed diff ratio .People mention oil but I dont know why it affects clutches so much ???
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

BTW the diff still drives correctly it lays two even strips of rubber when I stand on it !!!
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

We used a Shell product, I think it was Spirax 80 in BW LSD when I worked in a Transmission shop, there is also an additive that can be used to stop the cone chatter, can’t recall the name though
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

Thanks for the replies boys ,,
T1916

Post by T1916 »

I thought BW different had cones, not clutches ?, my LSD bw diff centre is out of a falcon and if I accelerated quickly would grab and nearly shoot me across the road. Highway patrol coppers had the same problem in the Commodores and GMH had a special Teflon oil made Mobil which prevents grabbing and still allows the lsd to work. It also prevents chattering. I have it in my diff and it fixed it, I will see if I can find out what type it is.

Cheers GT.
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

T1916 I know very little about lsd diffs so you are most likely correct , there is more than a shudder in my diff turning as in carpark if really bangs but only since I topped up diff oil ??
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Try using the correct oil for an Limited Slip differential (BW) and I'm thinking you problem will be solved.
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

Will do ..
spinner50

Post by spinner50 »

Continuing the BW diff story re noises it wasnt an oil problem , the first time I stood on it with new engine the diff failed luckily crown wheel & pinion look ok but spider gears etc are toast so that was the noise before .Now I,m off to chase up another carrier to get this thing back on road !! I will chase up a 9 inch & modify that to fit . The fun of it all !!