beehive oil filter leaks

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
dodgekew

beehive oil filter leaks

Post by dodgekew »

I have a Speedway beehive oil filter that is a constant source of oil leaks from the O ring under the lid. At times I've used the Speedway oil filter and mostly a replacement Repco R4p oil filter .
I'm wondering if the Repco filter is the problem ? Sometimes no leaks for 6 months and then every other week . I oil up the O ring before installation as well as the small O ring under the dome nut .
Oil pressure is about 35psi . What gives ?
Harv

Re: beehive oil filter leaks

Post by Harv »

I'm assuming the filter is a bypass unit, similar to those fitted to early Holdens? No tension spring on the end of the filter element, just relies on compression of the filter element ends?

It is possible that the filter element is a poofteenth too long, and preventing the lid gasket sealing. You may need a shorter element.

There is a pretty fair variation in the filter length for filters that the manufacturers describe as "exchange". For example, take a look at the different dimensions for the "exchange" early Holden filters in the table below:
Elements.png
More info here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p137227

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice NASCO filter fiddler) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dodgekew

Post by dodgekew »

Thanks .................the filter has a spring at the top . I have another look at it.
dodgekew

Post by dodgekew »

" Bolt " in centre was bent , now straightened .
Body of filter has had the top machined .
When started no oil leaks but, when motor turned off, it leaks ?
Like a vacuum was released ?
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Paul, maybe a word in Stewies ear. :(

It shouldn't leak like that. :roll:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
dodgekew

Post by dodgekew »

The red circle is where the filter has been leaking from . Same spot no matter what .
Cork gasket , glued gasket or a thicker gasket ...............same problem .
I had the filter body put in a lathe and the top surface checked and it had a 5/6 thou. low spot where the black mark is in the red circle.
And had the surface faced .
Another problem was the O ring under the dome nut that holds the lid on .
The top O ring is what the car came with and I felt it was too " big ". It was a 3/4" i.d. with a 1/8" dia. section.
When I took the filter to a hydraulic repair place and asked for a better solution they offered me the bottom O ring which is still 3/4" i.d. but , a half section or 1/16"dia.
I didn't know such a thing existed !
When assembled now you can't even see the O ring , it just disappears under the nut for a real clean look.
With the new smaller O ring ,when assembled the dome nut now bottomed out on the central threaded tube ! So , the tube now had to be shortened also.
And it leaked again !
So , this is where we are now.
A 3 mm dia. groove has been machined into the surface with an inside dia. of 110 mm .
I've still got my fingers crossed and, it's only been a few days ...................here's hoping !
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

can't see the pics...... bugger !
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Paul..........nice to see the Coupe on the cover of the latest Chrysler Restorer magazine..............have you sorted out the beehive filter leak yet?..........you say you bought it from Speedway Motors...is it one that they have had made for themselves?...........I used one on the 41 Plymouth Coupe and had no problem at all regarding any leaks, from memory I bought it either from Patricks or another place on ebay in Utah who's name escapes me but as I said I had no issue with it, I can't remember if it had any specific brand name either...............I've still got the filter element interchange that came with mine if you want it..............andyd
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Mudgy wrote:can't see the pics...... bugger !
I'm with Mudgy Paul..... :( :( :(
dodgekew

Post by dodgekew »

I can see the pictures on my computer , I don't understand it ? This technology confuses me !
Andyd , the filter was bought new from speedway motors and there's no leaks at the moment . I don't like taking it long distances until I get my confidence back.
I asked the Chrysler restorers if they wanted to feature my Dodge a few years ago and no , was the answer. When your Dodge appeared on the cover I thought there's been a change of guard .
And in the current mag there's also Jim Gaynor's '38 Chrysler Imperial , all Jag powered and independent front & rear suspension !
Maybe they are slowly coming out of the dark ages .
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Paul.......hopefully you've fixed the filter problem then...as for the Chrysler Restorers Club.........I upset a couple of trogliadites in the club back in the 1980's when I attended the big display days at Warwick Farm & Baulkam Hills and had the temerity to open the hood on the Dodge but the Chrysler club magazine a few issues ago with a new Jeep on the cover was the last straw so I contacted John Arnold the magazine editor and voiced my concern, he agreed but told me to put my money where my mouth was.......so I did and I sent the article which he ran verbatim so I think that the Reformation maybe underway............lol...........regards, andyd