39Chev panel van

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Re: 39Chev panel van

Post by woody28A »

47chevyvan wrote:hi hope you had a Christmas and have a good new year :D :D :D . have you thought of lifting the front of your engine ? if you have a angle finder the engine must sit between 3 - 5 degrees up at the front to give you the proper uni angles check it at the crank ? it looks like your engine can come up at the front about 50 - 60 mm ? . I check my motors where the carby fits that should be horizontal at ride height or close to it ! this might save you from cutting the sump . good luck
Ideally try for a maximum of 3 degrees (engine and gearbox down) and 3 degrees diff (pinion up).
This gives a tailshaft angle of 6 degrees “slope”, so each component is at 3 degrees to each other.
Sometimes this is bloody hard to achieve, especially if joy have a longish motor and gearbox combination.
Most tail shaft guys and pinion manufacturers recommend 1 to 3 degrees to make the uni’s “work”and keep the harmonics correct. Nothing worse than tailshaft vibrations caused by bad harmonics.
This won’t always give you correct carb angle, but a machined angle spacer will take care of that. Remember the only time that the carb will be level, will be on a level surface. Great for setting float level, but while driving the level changes all the time.
Have fun. :)
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

I have the engine and rear end set parallel as the rear is jag and the rear is 80mill lower than the engine so I don't want to raise the engine any more The tailshaft is only about 1200 long so the uni joints should be ok The jag rear has to be level for the suspension to work. The engine a fuel injected ls1 so there isn't a craby the engine pully and diff flange are parallel
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Gerday Pilot.
Nice work so far - progressing well!

Do you have any pictures/details of the mounting of the rear end? Did you mount it on stock rubber mounts? (looks like you did). I'd be interest to see what you found.

Cheers.

Jeff
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

You are wright Jeffa the rear end is mounted on the original rubber mounts
The trailing arms mount under the rails. The front end is also on the jag rubbers as well
pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

A bit more progress I have swapped the cowl over and started to replace the A pillars. I have formed the inner panels on both sides and the outer for the left just need to weld it all in now also trying to lose the ugly weld seam at the bottom of the A pillar to the firewall
Just going to tack it all together for now till I get all the body mounts sorted and doors gaped.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Really nice job there Charlie, really hitting your straps mate. Looks very cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

A pillar is going to come up nice.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

G'day all still here just plugging away I need to recondition my door hinges they have bronze bushes that are flogged out and the pins are rust pitted and worn where is the best place to get replacement bits. Thanks
Charlie
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

pilot48

Post by pilot48 »

Thank Chrisso had already look at that mob but thought there may be some one in Australia. May have to go that way I need to count up what I need to make it worthwhile thanks
Charlie
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

This is a mob in Sydney I think a mate who does 50's chev pick-ups uses them sometimes Charlie

https://www.chevparts.com.au/chevrolet- ... up-to-1954