Metal gauge for early falcon bodywork

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
turns
Old Hand

Re: Metal gauge for early falcon bodywork

Post by turns »

I was having some trouble with postimage yesterday but I have found a couple more pics.

These pics are of my '64 Ranchero. I read somewhere that the US cars had galvanised sills whereas the Aussie Falcon cars didn't (not sure if that's correct). This car was really solid in the sills and A pillars which surprised me. From memory, the end of the sill is finished with a fold that overlaps the spear for spot welding. I am not sure how far the spear goes into the sill. I would assume that the spear offers strength to that area (it is above the torque boxes etc).

They will be tricky to fabricate in my opinion and would have me scratching my chin :mrgreen: Are '65 Mustang the same design?

Post up your pics and I'll see what other pics I have

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Image[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/mkHqk19h/PA060211.jpg][/img]
This is the LH side Turns. I re constructed the rolled under leading edge of the rocker panel extension,and the lower edge of the rocker. What gets me is the joining to that missing front section. The repaired section with the opening is too neat even on the other side with what is left. It looks like the missing section slides inside or over, but I cannot see any evidence of spot welding.Image
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Mustang is similar from memory Turns. I have a pair of 66's but would have to dismantle either of these on road vehicles to compare :cry:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31