Jag coil over ride height on a live axle.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
garya54

Jag coil over ride height on a live axle.

Post by garya54 »

Hi, I am setting up a triangulated 4 bar rear end on a glass bodied 32 Ford hiboy roadster using a 9" diff and two XJ6 Jag rear coil over shocks.
The shocks are angled at either 18 or 22 degrees, depending on which mounting holes I use.
What I need to know is what the compressed length (road height of the shocks.) would be.
Could any one who has got this type of setup on their car be able to measure the centre distance of their shocks.
It would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Gary
toprodz
Old Hand

Re: Jag coil over ride height on a live axle.

Post by toprodz »

Jag shocks are generally 13" long when extended and about 10" when compressed, so they need to be set at 12" for ride height, which will give you 2" of compression and 1" of rebound, I have also found that most second hand Jag shocks are stuffed when you take the springs off and the springs are just about always the wrong spring rate to suit the build they are on, aftermarket Viking shocks are fantastic with the dual dampener adjusters on them, as well as you can get the correct spring rate to suit, McDonald Bothers Racing sell them.
I hope that helps
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Jag rear suspension is designed with 4 shocks for s reason so using only 2 they will probably be a bit light in the springs depending on the weight of the car you are butting them in. Plenty of good after market coil overs with various spring rates available rather than mucking around with original Jag IMO
Regards Bob
garya54

Post by garya54 »

Thanks Gents,
Not sure about your theory on 4 shocks Bob, XL6's are bloody heavy cars compared to a 32 ford and I have noticed heaps of vehicles featured in Australian Street Rodding mags with these shocks on them over the years.
I looked at the McDonalds shocks and they are way out of my budget.
Anyone have any more budget minded shock suggestions?
Cheers, Gary
Angry

Post by Angry »

toprodz wrote:Jag shocks are generally 13" long when extended and about 10" when compressed, so they need to be set at 12" for ride height, which will give you 2" of compression and 1" of rebound, I have also found that most second hand Jag shocks are stuffed when you take the springs off and the springs are just about always the wrong spring rate to suit the build they are on, aftermarket Viking shocks are fantastic with the dual dampener adjusters on them, as well as you can get the correct spring rate to suit, McDonald Bothers Racing sell them.
I hope that helps
'

Spot on advice there Pete.......Put Vikings in my Camaro,...couldnt believe the difference......

And 2" compression will ride like crap too,...
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....